How to install iGO8 from scratch   

Postby nabi » Sun May 16, 2010 9:36 am

This is my (modified) general manual from the old disneyworld website, written for newbies.
It is no more than a guideline. I hope it helps. That is why I wrote it.

Initial instructions

to unzip or not to unzip?
Somehow users unzip files that do not need to be unzipped with the consequence that the installation fails on start up. Read careful what to unzip! When I say "unzip and copy", do unzip once and copy, do not unzip further!! Some files must stay zipped! Which files? Read on, there is an explanation by PedroDagr8

PDA or PNA?
I advise an iGO PNA version should be used, except if you really need a PDA release.

What is the difference?
- PDA releases need some less memory (But you can use my 2Din release)
- PDA releases are NOT capable for TTS
- PDA releases have the possibility to import Outlook adresses.

Remark : when you have a PDA, PDA versions run better on PDAs; PNA versions run better on PNAs.

Take your time; read everything until you fully understand what you're going to do, AND ABOVE ALL be patient during the installation process.

PDA instructions
When you first run a PDA release you have two choices: to install or not to install. I will explain in a minute the latter option because that is more universal.
Do not worry, most releases work on both PNA and PDA.

2Din setup
In case you own a 2DIN, a Chinese device or a memory poor device, it could pay to install my 2Din release. That release should work on all devices, but only with the intended resolutions!

The setup

Other than 2Din setup
iGO8 installation (common to all versions)
Before anything else I need to say this: links to software, maps, etc, in short all you need, don't live for long. For that reason I do not give a direct link anymore here. I would have to edit this post several times a day. So I only give a link to subforums where we collect the links. Or try to. Search there, maybe do a forum search, and hope you find a working link. If not, post in the forum and ask exactly what you need.

This is the link: :link: Let's start now with installing iGO
You will need the program. Start your search on the subforum and download a release, unzip or unrar and copy it to an SD card.

In case you downloaded a PDA release, delete the folder called "2577". This allows you to install on memory card (SD)
On the SD card you should see in its main directory or folder called iGO8. In it is a file called "application.dat". Rename it into "igo8.exe".
===> There is no need deleting and renaming if for what reason ever, you need to install in memory of your PDA or smartphone - just insert the (micro) sd in your device and it will automatically install.

From this point on the explanation is the same for both PDA and PNA releases.

Next you need content or files necessary for iGO8 to run. On the SD card is a folder called iGo8. In that directory is a subdirectory called content. In this subdirectory are further or more subdirectories:

building
dem
lang
map
poi
speedcam
voice

If they are not there, create them.

Downloads
Now you can begin to download the needed content files for iGO 8.3 or R3.

For a first install : 1 language file, 1 voice and 1 map only.
Be careful! do not overload your device yet!!
It is best to have a working iGO before spoiling it with to big content!!

Get a [Please Register or Login to download file] file. Copy the language.zip file of your choice into the language folder. Do not unzip further. iGO8 needs to use ZIP files in this directory.

Grab a [Please Register or Login to download file] file. Copy the zip file of your choice into the voice folder.

From this point on you should unzip to the file extension dem, fbl, 3dl, 3dc, poi, ..

Now you need at least one map. And to begin with, stay with just one.

TeleAtlas maps I recommend for Europe, Navteq maps I recommend for USA and Canada.
The reason for my recommendation is simple. TeleAtlas is a European Company, Navteq an American (originally, bought by Swedish Nokia). They make maps for their own continent first (for Navteq the Americas - and Sweden ;) ). In fact, most Europeans like TeleAtlas more. On the other side of the ocean, ... well, it depends on the state or country, Navteq seems to be the favorite. For Australia, there is Sensis/Telestra/Whereis. The same discussion, I guess.

ALWAYS READ carefully before downloading a new map and pay attention to the map version and the iGO release it's intended for.
(the map links I gave are for iGO8.3 release ==> maps for iGO8.0 will not work on 8.3!)

IMPORTANT: FOR THE FIRST USE IT IS BEST TO COPY JUST ONE COUNTRY, AND NO BUILDINGS OR POI OR OTHER FILES YET !!!

Just to be complete now, I add PedrodaGr8's post in former disneyworld here, where he explains all possible folders and their contents. When you read this, you know what file goes where and why.
Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8
OK igo8 is very picky about how you structure things. You don't HAVE to have all of these, and I think it is obvious what goes in what but I will explain it beneath each folder.Here is my folder structure:

StorageCard\igo8\content\building\
Your 3D building files go in this folder files ending in .3dc (3D building) and .3dl (3d Landmark)

StorageCard\igo8\content\dem\
Your terrain files go in here (.dem)

StorageCard\igo8\content\lang\
Language files go in here, these are for the text in the menus, not the voices. All files end in .zip and usually begin with Lang_filename.

StorageCard\igo8\content\map\
Your map files go in here, files have the .fbl extension, make sure you have iGo 2008 files not miomap 3.3 which have the poi's integrated in the files and won't work.

StorageCard\igo8\content\phoneme\
Phoneme files go here, they are used by TTS to improve pronunciation, files end in a .ph extension.

StorageCard\igo8\content\poi\
POI files go in here, these are what allow you to find Points of interest, without these you can't look for anything except addresses. Files contain the .poi extension.

StorageCard\igo8\content\scheme\
These files are what determine the colors of the roads and terrain in the map. Files are all .zip files.

StorageCard\igo8\content\skin
Skins to determine the look of the program. All files in this folder are .zip files.

StorageCard\igo8\content\speedcam\
Speedcam files go in here. I have one file in here SpeedcamUpdates.spud, others can chime in on what other types of files besides .spud files work.

StorageCard\igo8\content\texture\
This folder contains the arrows and stuff that appear on the map, like the moving right arrow for right turns. All files are .tex.

StorageCard\igo8\content\userdata
Where iGo stores all sorts of user data like saved routes etc.

StorageCard\igo8\content\voice\
Voice files go in here, both TTS and non-TTS. All files are zips, though TTS requires extra dll's to make it work.
IMPORTANT: some releases uploaded on the internet are copies of a working iGO, but working on a particular device. If this is the case with your download, you will have lots of trouble making iGO work as it should, when having another device. Unless by coincidence, you have the same unit, but ... I do not guarantee a careless install. I have seen enough problems before.
So I advice you for safety: in any case, delete the contents of the save folder. (if any)

Now start up your device.
It will take some time for iGO starting up the first time.
If a speedcam file is present (which I do NOT recommend, better is to completely delete the contents of the speedcam folder) , iGO8 will take longer to compile the speedcam database.
It will also take some time for first GPS fix.

When everything runs fine meaning the screen is no longer changing (rule of thumb about 10 minutes) - AND NOT BEFORE THAT - can you think about getting more maps, POI, building files etc. It is better to get a good installation before trying to give iGO8 every conceivable feature under the sun.

Now you can download some more:
- a dem file (dem file is a terrain file, skip this if memory of your unit is limited!!),
- a basemap, (a worldmap, no roads, just a image of the world, not for 2dinBuilds!!, basemap already present in 2Dinbuild)
- download the map(s) you need (or want)
- download POI (= Point of Interest)
- 3dc (buildings files - if you want 3D view in some cities like Berlin, Paris, ...).
- 3dl (landmark files - more like towers or other big buildings)
- skins
- TTS voices (Text To Speech, announcing street names, ONLY on PNA build, skip this if memory of your unit is limited!!)

Speedcam files

WARNING: installing speedcams can screw up your installation. Do it AFTER you have a decent working iGO AND AFTER you made a backup! Installing speedcams should be the very last thing you do!
Unzip the file to a txt file and copy it in the content/speedcam folder. Remember when installing a speedcam.txt file, always delete the contents of the speedcam folder first!!

One final remark

When your device lacks memory, you have two choices:

here are some tips you could do yourself

or

you could install a 2Din Build

Enjoy!
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Return to > How to…