Double din 2Din GPS - How to install thread   

Double din 2Din GPS - How to install thread

Postby nabi » Sun May 16, 2010 9:34 am

The iGO in this thread is very old now - released in May 2009.
The time that GPS devices were low on memory is gone too. Memory chips are cheap.

Unless your device is older, the only use of this thread is a good read. and even if you do have an older and/or a low memory device, there are more modern solutions.

Like this program :
http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?10941-iGo-8.3.5-Minimal-for-low-power-devices-TBM

How to install iGO8 on a low memory device?

How to install iGO8 on a Chinese device, a Double Din, a 2Din or any low memory device? (all devices are in this thread further called 2Din)

Big advantage of this setup is the memory saving capacities will function on any device, given the fulfilled condition of resolution match.

My latest build is a bit different from v1. The old one was based on iGO8 8.3.2.64873, the new build on 8.3.2.90500. And now I have made a 'naked' program folder with a minimal content. Still to be added is a data.zip and branding.zip depending on the resolution. Wrong resolution? Just download another data/branding file.

When your device is one of these resolutions - 320*234 - 320*240 - 400*234 - 400*240 - 416*234 - 480*234 - 480*272 - 800*480 – this manual could be for you, especially when your device is low on memory. However, no guarantees it's THE solution for your device!

Preparing yourself for installation
Preferably, you have read about the iGO program before, so you are sure you want to install.
Know there is no shortcut to knowledge. I propose you read this thread at least once and completely before you start the act.

Always backup your original SD card. I cannot stress that enough. You should own a copy and backup the card. And NEVER delete original files or directories on your 2Din!!!

One final advise: Take your time - do not be in a rush. User errors are the most probable cause for failed 2Din installations. A full install, including downloads (depending on your internet speed) will take less than 60 minutes. From zero to a full working iGO8. Most users did report 40-45 minutes. And only 10 for a next identical installation.

A Simple Way to Tell if iGO8 is possible on your 2Din (or memory low device)

2Din Devices often come with one or more GPS software packages. In most cases, these programs run off an SD card. Units vary with some having one or two (dedicated) slots (mostly one for GPS, one for multimedia). Garmin, Route 66 or Mobile Navigator seem to be the branded pre-installed packages. However, units' documentation often says other packages are possible.

How do you know if your unit supports another software package?

1. Turn off the device.
2. Press the button to release the SD card. (This would be a great time to backup the card!)
3. Remove the SD card and turn off your motor (if a in-car build).
5. Leave the SD card slot empty.
6. Turn on your motor and 2Din
7. Activate the 2Din software button. It may read satnav, GPS, nav, navi and this may vary.
8. On screen your 2Din should tell you to insert an SD card with a GPS navigation program on it.

If your 2Din's screen reads something like this, you will be able to use this build even when it is possible that in some cases, you need to do some file renaming or adapting the path windows needs.

Installation procedure for 2Din

The previous release, the one on former GPSOnderground, was downloaded about 3250 times. Very few people had problems installing. And even less did not succeed at all.

Before you start downloading
2Din come in many variations. Those devices are often capable of playing video in a higher resolution than used for navigation.
Example: 800*480 for playing movies and 320*240 for gps purposes.
In their advertising, manufacturers will underline the 800*480 resolution and often not mention GPS runs only at 320*240. But it's the 320*240 prebuild you need in this example.
If you are not sure of your GPS resolution, we have a solution. In fact, we recommend you use it, EVEN IF YOU ARE SURE !!
2Din Resolution Finder - thanks to Yoff's, credit goes also to Xtyler92, who made this program.

This is a small application that you will launch like any other navigation program on your 2Din unit. First make note of what your 2Din calls the SD card slot. Then download the version that matches what your device calls the SD card:

Tester SDMMC.rar for units that call the SD card SDMMC

[Please Register or Login to download file] Tester SDMMC_Card.rar for units that call the SD card SDMMC card (Thanks to Lovely)

Tester StorageCard.rar for devices that call the SD card StorageCard

Unrar the download and copy the Resolution Tester folder to your SD card. Then change the path for the navigation button on your device to launch the ResolutionTester.exe in the Resolution Tester folder. Now launch it using the Navigation button on your device. The first resolution you will see is 320x240. If it doesn't look right, hit the next button. Continue to do so until you find the resolution that looks right on your screen. Once you do, make note of the resolution and then hit the red circle button with the white "X" to exit the program. From there delete the Resolution Tester folder off your SD card and proceed to download igo8 for the resolution your device uses.

IMPORTANT:

On Windows CE6, an error may occur (error#2).
Thanks to Osprey, there is a solution:
Hi.
With regards to your post in the "2Din" thread, a much easier and less error-prone way of determining the screen's resolution is to use MortScript, as I did to find out my resolution. It doesn't matter what the SD card is named and it can tell you exactly what the resolution is (so no cycling through images and making a judgment about which one looks better). It also ought to work on CE6.

In case you're interested,[Please Register or Login to download file] it is, packaged for people to download ([Please Register or Login to download file] )

All that this program does is put a message up on the screen that says "Device resolution: ", followed by the detected resolution (ex. "480x272" for me).

Feel free to add it to your post, if you'd like. If you do, instructions are identical to what you already have posted (since I named the folder and executable the same).

-Osprey

So now you are ready to download the iGO build.
I should point out the prebuild is a basic, but solid and stable program to start. TTS is possible but not supplied. It can be added later. However there is no guarantee TTS will work on your device!
The build is also TMCpro capable. And driver alerts (further called "_da") also (only with an additional license and the driver alert supporting maps)
Another thing, I should say it's a 8.3 or R3 release. This is important when you search maps, because maps for iGO 8.0 (or R1) will not be recognized!

How to install?

Before you go on, check your device, your old program settings, a system.ini device, a GPS setting program on your unit,…, search for your GPS settings: com port and baud rate. Note them on a piece of paper. This precaution could prove useful.

My 2Din build you find in the attachment.

Download the "naked" build (called 2Din90500v1.rar) and the data_branding.rar package that suits your resolution. The name is DBxxxxxx.rar where xxxxxx is the resolution. Example: DB320240 means data.zip and branding.zip for 320*240. Simple.

Unrar the "naked" build and copy it to an SD card.
Then unrar the DBxxxxxxfile. KEEP DATA.ZIP AND BRANDING.ZIP ZIPPED!!) Copy the zipped files into your iGO directory on the sd card.
Put the sd in the device and start the iGO exe file. I supplied only one language file (US English), one voice (US English) - both to choose - press O.K. - and only the basemap (this is NOT a roadmap!) The picture will be black in the evening hours, green in the day hours, bit if you zoom out, you should see country lines. (just tap on the screen, some buttons will appear)
See if it works! Wait until you have a GPS signal (see further) and a solid connection - you cannot see where you are exactly. On the basemap, there are no roads to see.

It will take some time for first GPS fix When you hear the voice say gps connection has been found, you have succeeded.

Possible problem 1:
When you try to run the .exe file on your unit and the screen turns blue or black for an instant, then it acts like its loading but ends up taking you back to the navigation main menu....
then I strongly advice to run the ResolutionTester. The disney.go members that reported this behavior all had one thing in common: they all thought their device had a higher resolution and were oh so sure of it. After using the Resolution Tester, they downloaded the right build and got iGO starting in minutes!

Possible problem 2:
Some testers reported difficulties with the display partly visible, but iGO working. Probably this behavior is device dependent (in fact Windows dependent where every manufacturer makes his own Windows cooking ;))
I advise these changes in sys.txt:

[rawdisplay]
class="landscape"
screen_x=xxx
screen_y=yyy

or if that doesn't help:

[rawdisplay]
driver="gdi"
class="landscape"
highres=0
screen_x=xxx
screen_y=yyy
stretch=1

and where of course xxx and yyy is the resolution. Do not write xxx or yyy in your sys.txt !
Oh, xxx must be the bigger number.

Possible problem 3:
Gps port and Baud rate are not detected automatically. It should but sometimes it doesn't.
When you have noted the GPS settings of your device somewhere before installing iGO, goto (in advanced mode) menu - settings - gps settings - enable gps, tap on Port to change to the desired port number, tap on BaudRate for the desired baud rate.
Or just tap on autodetect (disable GPS, then below at right is autodetect) and wait.
If autodetect fails: the problem is probably caused by using an external GPS antenna. You have no choice but trying to list a bunch of port and baud settings as described a few lines up. Start logically with the first one, then wait, then try another setting and wait, etc... until you finally hit the right one. Try to set the baud rate as high as possible.
A tip: many 2DIN GPS devices have PORT=2 and BAUD=4800 or 9600.

Downunder35m, one of our mods, found a nice tool that might be handy for many people using a PDA or Chinese GPS unit or just some device with unknown GPS settings :
GPS Spy is a small, but useful utility that can detect your GPS hardware settings on Windows computer or Pocket PC device when you just bought new GPS device.
Just run it and press 'Detect' button. It will autodetect device settings (port and baud rate) and display it. Later, you can use this information to setup your navigation software.
[Please Register or Login to download file] [Please Register or Login to download file]

This is a nice one too:
chas521 wrote:Find your GPS port, speed, and protocol

GPSScan_debug.exe is a small tool from the Miopocket Tronik utilities. It does seem to run standalone(at least on a wince gps) and did find the port, baud rate, and protocol of my GPS. So if you need a "tool" to find your gps port, you might want to give GPSScan_debug.exe a try.

[Please Register or Login to download file]

Thanks to dohcacr for this excellent tool.

Note that a first GPS fix takes about 10 minutes, give or take a few minutes. I read someone said half an hour.
Oh, for a first GPS fix (for every fix) your device should have clear view to the sky! Not in the house!

Download of contents

When you have a fix and are satisfied so far - AND, NOT BEFORE THAT - you can think about getting maps, POI, building files etc. It is better to get a good installation before trying to give iGO8 every conceivable feature under the sun.
So for now : 1 language file, 1 voice and 1 map only.
Be careful and not enthusiastic! Do not overload your device yet!!
It is best to have a working iGO before spoiling it with to big content!!

Get your own languagefile (if not US English)
Copy it into the language folder. Do not unzip further. iGO8 needs to use ZIP files in this directory.

Grab an other voice file (if not English US) (there are male and female voices available in all possible languages, just don't try TTS vices for now)
Copy the zip file of your choice into the voice folder.

From this point on you should unzip to the file extension dem, fbl, 3dl, 3dc, poi, ..

Now you need at least one map. And to begin with, stay with just one.

At this point, I like to thank D.I.I. (once more) for this :

Maps here

TeleAtlas maps I recommend for Europe, Navteq maps I recommend for USA and Canada.
The reason for my recommendation is simple. TeleAtlas is a European Company, Navteq an American (originally, bought by Swedish Nokia). They make maps for their own continent first (for Navteq the Americas - and Sweden). In fact, most Europeans like TeleAtlas more. On the other side of the ocean, ... well, it depends on the state or country, Navteq seems to be the favorite.
For Australia, there is Sensis/Telestra/Whereis. The same discussion, I guess. I know :)

ALWAYS READ carefully before downloading a new map and pay attention to the map version and the iGO release it's intended for.
(the map links I gave are for iGO8.3 release ==> maps for iGO8.0 will not work on 8.3!)

Just to be complete now, I add PedrodaGr8's post in former disneyworld here, where he explains all possible folders and their contents. When you read this, you know what file goes where and why.
Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8
OK igo8 is very picky about how you structure things. You don't HAVE to have all of these, and I think it is obvious what goes in what but I will explain it beneath each folder.Here is my folder structure:

StorageCard\igo8\content\building\
Your 3D building files go in this folder files ending in .3dc (3D building) and .3dl (3d Landmark)

StorageCard\igo8\content\dem\
Your terrain files go in here (.dem)

StorageCard\igo8\content\lang\
Language files go in here, these are for the text in the menus, not the voices. All files end in .zip and usually begin with Lang_filename.

StorageCard\igo8\content\map\
Your map files go in here, files have the .fbl extension, make sure you have iGo 2008 files not miomap 3.3 which have the poi's integrated in the files and won't work.

StorageCard\igo8\content\phoneme\
Phoneme files go here, they are used by TTS to improve pronunciation, files end in a .ph extension.

StorageCard\igo8\content\poi\
POI files go in here, these are what allow you to find Points of interest, without these you can't look for anything except addresses. Files contain the .poi extension.

StorageCard\igo8\content\scheme\
These files are what determine the colors of the roads and terrain in the map. Files are all .zip files.

StorageCard\igo8\content\skin
Skins to determine the look of the program. All files in this folder are .zip files.

StorageCard\igo8\content\speedcam\
Speedcam files go in here. I have one file in here SpeedcamUpdates.spud, others can chime in on what other types of files besides .spud files work.

StorageCard\igo8\content\texture\
This folder contains the arrows and stuff that appear on the map, like the moving right arrow for right turns. All files are .tex.

StorageCard\igo8\content\userdata
Where iGo stores all sorts of user data like saved routes etc.

StorageCard\igo8\content\voice\
Voice files go in here, both TTS and non-TTS. All files are zips, though TTS requires extra dll's to make it work.

Run iGO again, wait for a GPS fix and check your position. Your position may not be correct to the meter, but you should now see where you are. Before the fix, you are somewhere in the capital. For France it's in Paris, Germany in Berlin, .... Just wait for the fix.

That is it. IGO should be installed, up and running.

If iGO after all does not work. Post in the General Discussion Forum and make it clear what you have done exactly, which build you have downloaded, what error message (if any), what happens, ... so that I can figure out what is wrong and how to solve it.

When you encounter this message: "Failed to open file: ui_igo8\960_544\loading.bmp" however, then what you must do then is simple. Go to our iGO programs section an download a 8.3.4 build. Next replace the 2Din exe file with the 8.3.4 exe file, delete the save folder (if there is any) and retry. Your iGO should work now.
(The combination of an older iGO (let's face it) and some devices, causes this very odd error. There is NO 960_544 resolution! So the reason must be either Windows CE6.0 - some CE 6.0 devices don't have this error though - or - most likely - that some device manufacturers do modify CE and other operating systems, to suit their particular needs in a way iGO fails)

If you want a newer iGO (than 8.3.2.90500)
That is easy. As long as the license isn't renewed in a new (to come) build, nor the important data.zip and branding.zip files, download a new build (a PNA build!!) and replace your igo.exe with it. That is all!
Only if you want driver alerts to work (only igo 8.3.4 builds) you need the add-on license too in the license folder. And the maps that support driver alerts. (as far as I know, only European NavTeq maps do, but more _da maps will appear)

I repeat it: This build is already capable for TTS (add TTS content), for driver alerts (add add-on license,_da map and change to 8.3.4 build) and for TMCpro.

A remark is at his place: when changing from PNA build to PDA build (or the other way around) you must change sys.txt. A PDA build needs in sys.txt:

[project]
name="igo8_pda"

Also a PDA build is not TTS capable and not driver alert!

More content? More features

When iGO does run smoothly AND ONLY THEN, you can download some more (but read on!):
- a dem file (dem file is a terrain file, skip this if memory of your unit is limited!!),
- download the map(s) you need (or want)
- download POI (= Point of Interest)
- download speedcam file (but read on!)
- 3dc (buildings files - if you want 3D view in some cities like Berlin, Paris, ...).
- 3dl (landmark files - more like towers or other big buildings)
- skins
- TTS voices (Text To Speech, announcing street names, ONLY on PNA build, skip this if memory of your unit is limited!!) For more info: read on.

Al can be found by visiting this page

speedcam files

WARNING: installing speedcams can screw up your installation. Do it AFTER you have a decent working iGO AND AFTER you made a backup! Installing speedcams should be the very last thing you do!
Unzip the file to a txt file and copy it in the content/speedcam folder. Remember when installing a speedcam.txt file, always delete the contents of the speedcam folder first!!

You want TTS (Text to Speech)?

A remark is at its place. Some 2Din owners have TTS and everything working, some keep asking why TTS doesn't work on their device.
"Why?" can not be answered. There is a difference between 2Din devices, I guess. Some are simply better suited for TTS.
There is no way knowing if your device will support TTS or not.

All TTS consists of is adding a TTS voice to the voice folder and adding the tts_loq folder and some dll's to the Igo8 folder.
These files differ by the language!! It's no use using an English DLL and a Spanish voice, it won't work.
And pay attention to the Windows version. CE4.20 needs different DLL's! All explained in the thread below:

More information about TTS can be found in this thread.
Links to TTS voices HERE

For memory low devices, Komateka has developed and uploaded his modified US English voice pack. He cut the .lex file way down and it should use less memory. In his upload he included the .dll's and the TTS files you need. Volume is a bit lower, but these should do well in a 2Din unit. You find the link in that second post as well

You want an other skin or you want different colors ?

A nice feature of iGO is that you can make it look like you want and add features. It's possible to change the triangle cursor to a Ferrari or a helicopter or ...
It's possible to see stars at night, to see a cloudy sky, ... It's possible to make iGO give a speed warning by a voice instead of a beep.
You can choose the fastest, shortest, .. route by just looking on the map when iGO as calculated it, instead of looking at naked figures showing only the distance and time to drive..

Therefor you can install skins and themes.

There is a great choice of them. Choose the ones you like.
Skins should be added in contents/skin and themes in contents/themes. It's that easy. Keep the files zipped!
Select a skin in settings - skins (second page) and explore its extra features

Enjoy!
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Return to > How to…