Tomtom Go renovation   

Tomtom Go renovation

Postby MisticNL » Wed May 11, 2016 4:20 pm

I got the old TomTom from my dad as a present, but it has never been updated since the day he bought it (somewhere around 2009). Which leaves me with this very old piece of kit that it not workable with those old maps.

So I read a lot at this forum trying to piece everything together what I need in order to have a workable navi again.
I figured out that I need new maps, navcore and use FastActivate to make it all work.

the ttgo.bif file gives me this info about the device:
DeviceName=TomTom ONE
DeviceVersionHW=ONE (v8)
DeviceSerialNumber=PN3449AXXXXX
RamDiskVersion=20090817
BootLoaderVersion=55136
LinuxVersion=343369
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8083
ApplicationVersion=9669

But I am a bit confused. To know what navcore I have, is it the ApplicationVersionVersionNumber or the ApplicationVersion?

Anyway I guess I need to update my navcore anyway, so the next question is how to identify the right navcore for this tomtom?
I read a good amount of topics on this forum but still this part is a bit confusing for me. Also we talk about the navcore versions, but I it has never been clear to me about the actuality of the maps and cores. By upgrading, do I get a navcore that is recent or is it stil years old?

And the map numbering is also not quite clear to me. I found a nice 1gb version of Europe_1GB_South_966_7443, which is the last version I see in the famous Map vs navcore comparison chart. But again how recent are these? And is the meta available for this map? I found a large list of meta info when browsing for this on the internet but the only meta I could find was:
2B D1 7C 8B 18 1F 3A 8C AA 9F AF 47 37 4F E4 02 Europe_1GB_South-100743.meta ; Europe_1GB_South 966_7404
Which unfortunately is not the very last available.(966_7443)

Then to actually fix my tomtom I figured out the following steps.

1) backup via TTHome (done that)
2) delete everything on the device
3) run Universal navcore installer
4) run FastActivate
5) enjoy

I know it probably is being asked a lot but to a total newcomer it still is quite confusing getting all the pieces right to update the tomtom.
So hopefully some of you will be able to help.
MisticNL offline

Re: Tomtom Go renovation

Postby Mokum » Wed May 11, 2016 4:48 pm

Hai,

Applicat.vers.vers.nmr is your navcore.

Newer navcore means newer looks and more options and also easier use of the tomtom.

Dont look at the numbers of the map. 966.7404 and the 966.7443

The difference between the last numbers means dont mean that the .7443 is newer.

The 7443 has western europe.

The 7442 has north europe. Both maps are both new. Only difference is which countries are on the map.

Only the first 3 number for the "_" sign, shows if you have an newer map.

So 965_.xxxxx is older then 966_xxxx.

You can always click on "update fastactivate" when you open fastactivate.

Or add the meta via notepad to the meta text.

Please use also the search function for your questions.

Regards
Dennis
"Dying people lie too. Wish they'd worked less, been nicer, opened orphanages for kittens. If you really want to do something, you do it. You don't save it for a sound bite."

By House M.D
Mokum offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby fredderf » Wed May 11, 2016 6:11 pm

Ok, so your navcore version is 8.083 and is the officially supported version by TomTom for your device, you don't have to change that unless you want to experiment with specially modded navcores that may/may not work well for you.

As Mokum has already pointed out, the 965/966 series of maps are the latest available at the moment. The second part of the map number denotes the features which can be seen on the compatibility chart.

You should do a full backup using Windows Explorer not TTH. Just make sure you have 'show hidden files and folders' option selected in Explorer before you backup.

You say that you have Europe_1GB_South_966_7443 which will be fine for you to use as it is suitable for your NC 8.083 and does have meta already available if you look here

So I would suggest that you stick with the official NC and update your device with Europe_1GB_South_966_7443. After you've backed it up, remove the old map and copy in the new one, copy FastActivate to the device and run it from there selecting options 2 & 3, then disconnect from the PC and reboot it...job done
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby MisticNL » Wed May 11, 2016 10:21 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I decided not to upgrade the navcore, new maps is the only thing I really need.

But now I stumbled upon a quite different problem. Namely the 1gb size limit of my TT One.
Downloading the special 1GB versions of the South Europe map didn't quite give me the right countries
I would need.

So after some research on the forum here I found this nice information:

Coverage of new Low-Level 1GB_966_7404-maps - they have the same map features as 965.7280 = None:

Europe_1GB_North_966_7404 (5 Countries) = 510MB:
Denmark, Finland, Germany, Norway, Sweden

Europe_1GB_South_966_7404 (13 Countries) = 575MB:
Andorra, Austria, France, Gibraltar, Italy, Liechtenstein, Malta, Monaco, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Switzerland, Vatican City

Europe_1GB_West_966_7404 (7 Countries) = 630MB:
Belgium, France, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, United Kingdom

Western_Europe_1GB_966_7404 (23 Countries, coverage such as known) = 1.3GB:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco,
Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Vatican City

The countries I would like to have in 1 map would be:
Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Spain and Portugal.

Or I really essentially need are Benelux and Germany.

Unfortunately these is a non existing set. And by the look of it, the latest western europe set would come in at 1.4 gb. Which would not fit the TomTom.

Is there any way of compiling a custom map with the countries I would like to have? Or would I be better of searching for a benelux map and germany map and switch maps all the time?
MisticNL offline

Postby Mokum » Wed May 11, 2016 11:35 pm

MisticNL wrote:
Is there any way of compiling a custom map with the countries I would like to have?

No.

MisticNL wrote:Or would I be better of searching for a benelux map and germany map and switch maps all the time?

Yes.
Or you can buy a second hand tomtom with a SD card. Make sure that the bootloader is lower or equal then 5.5022.
Then you can pick any map you want.
Second hand tomtoms you can buy for like 20-30 euro's.
I bought a go300 for my car. €7,50. Simple as that.
"Dying people lie too. Wish they'd worked less, been nicer, opened orphanages for kittens. If you really want to do something, you do it. You don't save it for a sound bite."

By House M.D
Mokum offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby holyhead » Thu May 12, 2016 7:47 am

So if you stick to the current device then the only option is a Benelux map and Germany map
and switch maps all the time?
If you use those maps then also you can use the feature like ALG and IQ routes.

If you buy an other device (second hand). At least buy one with 64MB ram and an SD slot (so not a 300).
Between 120 and 150 euro you have a new life Time Map device and don,t have to bother about searching
maps every 3 months

*) Recommended Navcore navcore 9.510 32MB device
[Please Register or Login to download file]

--
Recommended Map (meta availble)
DE_AT_CH 965_7250 + Benelux 965.7250
--
1) Make a backup of your Device and delete the content.
--
2) Unpack the* navcore (winrar ) and place folders and files on your Device.
--
3) Reset The Device (minimal 20 sec) and start it till the announcement "No map found"
--
4) Copie the chosen map to your Device in there own folders.
If you open the map you see the loose files and probably a folder (brand).
Not a map in a map.
--
5) Copy "FastActivate.exe" to your device.
Run "FastActivate.exe".
     Select 2 and Done
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Return to General Discussions about TomTom