DeviceSerialNumber=Y2xxxxxxxxxx
BootLoaderVersion=55001
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8010
ApplicationVersion=9369
CurrentMap=Europe_1GB_West_980_7971
CurrentMapVersion=980.7971

Map(s):
D:\Europe_1GB_West_980_7971\

I am after some advice / thoughts from knowledgeable folk on Navitotal.
I have a Tom Tom (v3) which I have updated the map on recently via Navitotal with many thanks to this site's contributors.

I was considering doing the hardware mod so my TomTom One (V3) would take an SD card to expand its memory (1GB version).

I'm wondering, is it a bit too late in the day to do this mod now, due to the capability of my TomTom?
What would the advantages be in doing the mod?

For instance would I be able to run a more up-to-date navcore with advance lane guidance, or is the device really not up to it, even with more memory?
Is it best to stick to the 8.010 navcore and the 1GB maps for this device as it only has 32mb of ram?

Clearly, sooner rather later, it will have to be retired, as the 1 GB maps may become unavailable for the 8.010 navcore?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
Yeblig offline

Re: Tom Tom One (v3) - Adding an SD card

Postby fredderf » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:09 pm

It really depends on what map you really need or more importantly the size of it.

You can use a specially modded navcore with an inbuilt swap file that will get over the limitations of the limited RAM models (like yours) and enable you to use fully featured maps with ALG/IQ Routes etc. You could do that right now but the question would be....is there enough storage space left to accommodate the map you need?

If you really only use your device for UK driving then you won't have a problem as the fully featured UK & ROI 980.7895 map is only 249MB when extracted, so you would have plenty of space for it. If on the other hand you wanted a larger map like Europe 980.7985 map then yes, you would need more storage space to accommodate the 2.90GB required so you would need to solder in an SD card.

The real limitation of your device is the screen size being so small, so personally I would:

a: keep your device & make your choice of maps and navcores and not bother soldering
b: look to get a second hand device that has a larger screen size and also a built in SD card slot

We can help with a....or even b if done via PM
fredderf offline

Administrator

Return to General Discussions about TomTom