RDS/TMC decrypted   

Re: RDS/TMC decrypted

Postby NickJH » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi,
I tried replying earlier but must have forgotten to commit.
Thanks for the files. I've struggled a bit with this one. I've managed to mount ttsystem and extract contentfs.gz. In linux it threw a bunch of ownership errors when unzipping it so I switched to Windoze and 7z. I managed to replace the mcta.dct and recompress the file in two passes. It was a bit smaller than the original so I should have been able to replace it, but I could not. I followed your instructions to increase the size of ttsystem. Although the file size increased I had no more space in the filing system :thumbdown: . Fortunately it allowed me to delete the old file and insert the new one. I don't know what is happening here?

I may give the new ttsystem a go but I am very nervous of using it in case it makes a mess of my SatNav. Do you by any chance have a copy of your patched ttsystem (v10.855)?
NickJH offline

Postby hobbitdev » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:16 pm

Hi
I managed it just using Linux - no idea if you would have any success involving windows.
Unless I go through the whole process again I can't remember each step (I will happily if deadbeef supplies an ITIS / premium .dat :) )
But all I have from my notes from doing this a year or so ago is below, it may or may not be of any use!

wget http://www.rarlab.com/rar/rarlinux-x64-5.3.b4.tar.gz
tar -xvf rarlinux-x64-5.3.b4.tar.gz
./rar x ../10.854.1663560_ecr9.8-cab-fuji_crc.rar
mount ttsystem /mnt/media/ -o loop
tar -xvf contentfs.gz -C /tmp/
apt-get install binutils

# extend the loopfs file
dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/paul/rar/10.854.1663560_ecr9.8-cab-fuji_crc/ttsystem bs=1M count=1 oflag=append conv=notrunc
e2fsck -f /home/paul/rar/10.854.1663560_ecr9.8-cab-fuji_crc/ttsystem
resize2fs /home/paul/rar/10.854.1663560_ecr9.8-cab-fuji_crc/ttsystem
mount /home/paul/rar/10.854.1663560_ecr9.8-cab-fuji_crc/ttsystem /mnt/media/ -o loop
# add the .dat file

#put in the new /contentfs.gz ive created from:
tar -xvf contentfs.gz -C /rootfs/
tar -cvf /new_contentfs.gz /rootfs/*
hobbitdev offline

Postby NickJH » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:28 pm

Thanks for your notes. I'll try the one I've prepared first, but I am a bit unwell atm and I'm not going outside :(. I think what I've done is OK but 7Z can create false roots. If I can re-extract from my packed file in linux and get the same structure as the original I'd be happy. Something to try on my sick-bed.

BTW, and I haven't tried it yet, but apparently you no longer need the "-o loop" in the mount command.
NickJH offline

Postby NickJH » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:39 pm

@hobbitdev,
Thanks for your help. It is up an running with the uk_trafficmaster.dat inserted.

I'm still not clear why the ITIS service does not work. I can understand the premium service not working as I thought it used the built-in SIM to contact TomTom, but not the ITIS service on Classic FM.

Nick
NickJH offline

Postby Otofoto » Mon May 06, 2019 7:53 pm

Is there a location table available for Latvia? Should be from Destia.
Otofoto offline

Postby Žilina » Sat May 18, 2019 12:00 pm

Hi :)
Does anyone have a link to download the complete MCTX collection.
I've just moved from a GO 910 to a GO 940 and need to test the TMC is working as it never seems to lock on to an FM signal.
I did manually edit the MCTX.dat on my old GO 910 to use the Trafficmaster system which was far more reliable than Classic FM (even across Europe), but the newer MCTX file format is far more complicated.
Many thanks :)
Žilina offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby holyhead » Sat May 18, 2019 5:42 pm

Žilina wrote:Hi :)
Does anyone have a link to download the complete MCTX collection.
I've just moved from a GO 910 to a GO 940 and need to test the TMC is working as it never seems to lock on to an FM signal.
I did manually edit the MCTX.dat on my old GO 910 to use the Trafficmaster system which was far more reliable than Classic FM (even across Europe), but the newer MCTX file format is far more complicated.

What do you use option 1 or 2 with your 940

If your Live subscription expires and you do not want to renew it, you will no longer
receive HD Traffic.
To continue receiving traffic information, you can switch to an RDS / TMC solution,
certainly less powerful, but
100% free (except the purchase price of the recipient).
Tomtom offers us 2:
1 Active windshield support with integrated RDS-TMC receiver and mini-antenna
2 RDS / TMC receiver 4V00.014 (9V00.101)
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby Žilina » Sat May 18, 2019 7:20 pm

I have both RDS-TMC options 1 and 2 available... neither work as receiving Classic FM in the UK is very sketchy.
On my old GO 910 I changed the mctx.dat from 22220 to 11110 (the Trafficmaster network I believe) and it made a massive improvement to the RDS-TMC in the UK and across Europe... it was very useable.
I was hoping I could do something similar on the 940 to improve the RDS-TMC as I get bugger all at them moment.
I would prefer to use the USB 4V00.014 option on my 940 as the antenna on the RDS-TMC active mount is tiny and I have a heated front windscreen.
The connection to the GO 910 was a far more elegant and thought out solution.
P.S. I don't want a Live subscription as I can get detailed traffic information from Google Maps should I need it.
Žilina offline

Postby holyhead » Sat May 18, 2019 7:42 pm

Žilina wrote:I have both RDS-TMC options 1 and 2 available... neither work as receiving Classic FM in the UK is very sketchy.
On my old GO 910 I changed the mctx.dat from 22220 to 11110 (the Trafficmaster network I believe) and it made a massive improvement to the RDS-TMC in the UK and across Europe... it was very useable.
I was hoping I could do something similar on the 940 to improve the RDS-TMC as I get bugger all at them moment.
I would prefer to use the USB 4V00.014 option on my 940 as the antenna on the RDS-TMC active mount is tiny and I have a heated front windscreen.
The connection to the GO 910 was a far more elegant and thought out solution.
P.S. I don't want a Live subscription as I can get detailed traffic information from Google Maps should I need it.

Give them a try
[Please Register or Login to download file]

I don,t expect that you can stil get a a Live subscription
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby Žilina » Sat May 18, 2019 8:07 pm

According the the TomTom website live subscriptions are available for all Live enabled devices and it quotes a price for it.
Which of the MCTX files should I be trying... I guess the larger the file the more decryption keys are included?
Last edited by Žilina on Sat May 18, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Žilina offline

Postby holyhead » Sat May 18, 2019 8:20 pm

Žilina wrote:Many thanks :)
According the the TomTom website live subscriptions are still available and it quotes a price for it.
Which of the MCTX files should I be trying... I guess the larger the file the more decryption keys are included?

Start with the largest file. I can still got a subscription for my Go 750 for 49,95 euro/year but I think
it is not worth it for such a old device.
Last edited by holyhead on Sat May 18, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby Žilina » Sat May 18, 2019 8:31 pm

You read my mind... I've already copied the largest file to my 940 so fingers crossed.
I've only just moved over to the 940 (considered the best legacy device TomTom ever made... I picked up 2 units cheap on eBay) as the WNRO bug affected my 910's and TomTom don't appear to want to fix the issue. Also finding replacement mounts on eBay etc where the suckers haven't perished with age is becoming harder.
I've been running Navcore 9.451 SE on my 910's which runs as well as a true 940 (remote works perfectly etc) but the RDS-TMC doesn't work for the 910 in the x40 emulation.
If I didn't need TMC (and the problem with finding replacement mounts) I'd stick with the 910's as the audio is better... but RDS-TMC is quite useful whilst driving across Europe.
Thanks for the assistance :)
Žilina offline

Postby holyhead » Sat May 18, 2019 9:18 pm

Žilina wrote:You read my mind... I've already copied the largest file to my 940 so fingers crossed.
I've only just moved over to the 940 (considered the best legacy device TomTom ever made... I picked up 2 units cheap on eBay) as the WNRO bug affected my 910's and TomTom don't appear to want to fix the issue. Also finding replacement mounts on eBay etc where the suckers haven't perished with age is becoming harder.
I've been running Navcore 9.451 SE on my 910's which runs as well as a true 940 (remote works perfectly etc) but the RDS-TMC doesn't work for the 910 in the x40 emulation.
If I didn't need TMC (and the problem with finding replacement mounts) I'd stick with the 910's as the audio is better... but RDS-TMC is quite useful whilst driving across Europe.
Thanks for the assistance :)

And have you try fixtmc in the setconfig.file
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby Žilina » Sat May 18, 2019 9:26 pm

Unfortunately RDS-TMC commonly does not work on 910s using alternative Navcores, perhaps as it used a serial connection rather than the usual USB connection?
I tried every trick in the book but could only get it working in x30 emulation which does not run so well on the x10 models.
Žilina offline

Postby unsermeister » Sun May 19, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi everyone.
Can anybody please re-upload the files please?
Cheers
unsermeister offline

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions about TomTom