Go920: replacing old map by new map.   

Go920: replacing old map by new map.

Postby mrlongest » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:11 pm

I want to replace my old map (Europe 965.7250) by a new one (Europe 990.8306), but most importantly, retaining all the POIs, Favourites, voices (LoquendoTTS), schemes, skins, sounds, safety cameras, preferences, and so on.
Last time I did a map upgrade it took ages. If I remember correctly, that new map overwrote many of the files/folders that I'd built-up over the months (including the ones I've mentioned above). That meant I had to laboriously copy over from my back-up files/folders, and then re-activate the whole thing.
There must be an easier way? Any suggestions?
Please help!
mrlongest offline

Re: Go920: replacing old map by new map.

Postby fredderf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:31 pm

All you have to do is copy all of the POI files & mapsettings.cfg from the old map into the new map folder. You could move the safety camera files as well but it would make more sense to download the latest ones.

Things like voices (LoquendoTTS), sounds, preferences are not contained in the map folder so will not be affected by just updating the map.

If in doubt, just compare the old map folder to the new...
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby Macca-009 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:03 am

As fredderf says, the key is to copy the file "mapsettings.cfg" (along with the POI files that you're using) from the old map folder to the new. That way you retain all your map settings.

I use 'speed zoned' Camera POIs (multi-type) with associated .ogg files and icons, so there are around 150 Speed Camera related files in each of my map folders. When I update my maps, I create the new map folder on my laptop, then copy all my POI's, associated icons and ogg files, and the mapsettings.cfg file from the old map folder on my TT to the new map folder on the laptop. Remove the (old) map folder from the TT and save it to my backup drive/folder on the laptop, then copy the NEW map folder from the laptop to the TT. Run the latest Fastactivate from the TT root and .. job done, with no re-configuring needed.

It occurs to me that most of the issues you are concerned with, would only arise if you also updated the Navcore. Updating only the MAP, should not cause the voices, favourites, schemes etc to change.
Macca-009 offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby mrlongest » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:04 am

Macca-009 wrote:As fredderf says, the key is to copy the file "mapsettings.cfg" (along with the POI files that you're using) from the old map folder to the new. That way you retain all your map settings.

I use 'speed zoned' Camera POIs (multi-type) with associated .ogg files and icons, so there are around 150 Speed Camera related files in each of my map folders. When I update my maps, I create the new map folder on my laptop, then copy all my POI's, associated icons and ogg files, and the mapsettings.cfg file from the old map folder on my TT to the new map folder on the laptop. Remove the (old) map folder from the TT and save it to my backup drive/folder on the laptop, then copy the NEW map folder from the laptop to the TT. Run the latest Fastactivate from the TT root and .. job done, with no re-configuring needed.

It occurs to me that most of the issues you are concerned with, would only arise if you also updated the Navcore. Updating only the MAP, should not cause the voices, favourites, schemes etc to change.

Like you, I use multiple 'speed zoned' camera POIs. They proved the main annoyance (resetting all the associated preferences) when I lasted updated my map. Hence my wish to find a better way to update. Whether or not I also updated my navcore then I don't remember, but I don't think so. But that's immaterial if I follow your sage advice. That'll I'll be doing next weekend I hope, when I have the time to concentrate upon what I'm doing! If you hear no more you'll know that your advices were 'spot on' - many thanks, Macca-009 and fredderf!
mrlongest offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom