Changes to maps and services updates for older devices   

Postby fredderf » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:43 pm

TomTom wrote:

Why we need to do this:

Throughout the last 12 years, we have continuously improved the quality of the maps and software used by your navigation device. However, the internal memory required to install these higher quality maps increases every year.

While we work tirelessly to launch new technologies and deliver a great customer experience, it has become clear that some of our earlier generation navigation devices do not have sufficient internal memory to store the latest maps and features.

How it will affect your device

For affected devices (see the full list of affected devices), from November 15, 2016:

•You will not be able to buy new maps or services.
•You will also not receive new software updates.
•Your trusted device will continue to function as it does now, but your map will become out-of-date and navigation will be less accurate.
However, this may be the perfect opportunity to discover what our new range of navigation products has to offer you.

Map Update Service and LIVE Services

You will continue to receive your map updates and LIVE Services updates until the end of your subscription. You will not be able to renew the subscription after it has ended.

How to install a map update

To be able to install map updates on one of the devices listed below, you may need to free-up internal memory that is currently used by other content on your device, for example voices and POIs. If there is still not enough space, you have the following options:

•Install a map zone (see video)
•Insert an SD memory card to extend the storage space of your device (available on some devices only)

List of affected devices:

GO CLASSIC (B1)
GO 300 (M1)
GO 500 (M3)
GO 510/GO 710 (V5)
GO 520 (M2/M4)
GO 530 (J1/J2)
GO 540 (WT)
GO 550 LIVE (W3)
GO 715 (M7)
GO 730 (J3)
GO 750 (W8)
ONE 1st Edition (G1/G2)
ONE 2nd Edition (E1/Z1/Z2/Z3)
ONE 3rd Edition (Y1/Y3/Y5/Y8)
ONE 125 (PA/PE/PH /PN/PV/PP)
ONE XL (L2/L3/L4/L7/L9)
ONE XL HD TRAFFIC (F3)
START (XA/XC)
XL 30 Series (RH/RO/RQ)
XL IQ Routes ²/XL Classic (GG)

More information [Please Register or Login to download file]
fredderf offline

Administrator

Re: Changes to maps and services updates for older devices

Postby fredderf » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:10 pm

TomTom Staff wrote:
Hi all,

We're indeed doing some changes with the service availability for some of our oldest device. For devices with internal memory of 1 GB or less it'll be no longer possible to purchase new maps or services through TomTom HOME or the mapshop (as of tomorrow). This will be communicated in TomTom HOME as well as through email to the affected customers but you can also find more information, including the exact device models affected, [Please Register or Login to download file] .

People with running subscriptions will of course be able to fully use their subscriptions

Don't hesitate to post here should you have any questions about this!

Cheers, Mikko

fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby fredderf » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:02 pm

NEW version of TomTom HOME just released:- 2.9.93.432 (which will no doubt be in relation to the recent 'Changes to maps and services updates for older devices' above.)

TomTom wrote:Every day, at TomTom, we work very hard to bring you the best navigation experience ever. A big part of this work is to continuously improve the quality of the maps and software that your sat nav runs on. As a consequence, however the memory required to install these higher quality maps increases every year.

As we work tirelessly to launch new technologies and deliver a great customer experience, it has become clear that some of our first generation navigation devices do not have sufficient memory to store the newest maps and features available. For example the map of Europe is now more than 7GB and the average map size increase per quarter is 400MB.

TomTom solved this situation by dividing the installed map into smaller regions (Map Zones) which are available to download when a device is connected to the TomTom HOME software. However, we foresee that in less than 6 months, even these smaller regions won’t be able to fit into your device.

For this reason, we have stopped sales of map updates and other services as of 15/11/2016. Your trusted device will still work perfectly but you will no longer be able to buy any further map update.

If you have an active subscription to map updates or TomTom services, you will continue receiving those until the subscription runs out. For additional information head over to the FAQ page or call us for personalised support at 02079490129

The latest generation of TomTom devices now come with Free lifetime updates for World Maps, Traffic and Speed cameras. Maps, services and software are easily updated via Wi-Fi without the need to connect to a computer. They are also the fastest devices we have ever built, with quad core processors and 16GB of memory (expandable via SD card)

fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby bondy99 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:49 pm

Hi frederf,

Thanks for that valuable update "Changes to maps and service updates for older devices"

I could be affected as I checked my serial number and TomTom said I have "XXL IQ Routes / XXL Classic, 2GB, TomTom HOME" (XXL540)

I also had a critical update to download , yep, 2.9.93.432.

As I have 2GB internal memory I should still be able to install the next Australian Map update when it becomes available.
bondy99 offline

Postby fredderf » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:32 pm

bondyz99 wrote:Hi frederf,

I could be affected as I checked my serial number and TomTom said I have "XXL IQ Routes / XXL Classic, 2GB, TomTom HOME" (XXL540)

I also had a critical update to download , yep, 2.9.93.432.

As I have 2GB internal memory I should still be able to install the next Australian Map update when it becomes available.

Hi mate,

As you say, you won't be affected as you have a 2GB device but the suspicion is that this is just the first stage of all 'TomTom HOME' devices eventually being discontinued.

Obviously everyone will get the 'critical update' of TTH to 2.9.93.432 but people with devices mentioned in post #1 will get an 'End of life' message and won't be able to buy the latest map.

Nobody really knows any more than what I've posted above, so any rumours about stage 2 or a possible timeline will just be speculation at this point.
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby HansK » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:16 pm

I am a happy user of a ONE 2nd Edition, from 2007. With an extra SD card I am now using Europe 980. But TomTom released a new TomTom Home 2.9.93, that I was forced to install, refusing is impossible. In the new Home 2.9.93 a popup appears, when I connect my device, telling that services are limited, but as I continue, I see that the function RoutePlanner and Operate my One on the PC are disabled. Why?
HansK offline

Postby fredderf » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:23 pm

HansK wrote:In the new Home 2.9.93 a popup appears, when I connect my device, telling that services are limited, but as I continue, I see that the function RoutePlanner and Operate my One on the PC are disabled. Why?

I don't have a device that has been affected by this so I haven't seen that message, but I can only assume that it's part of the discontinuation of early devices.

You may have to ask TomTom themselves on your local regional support number.
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby HansK » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:13 pm

I am not the only one; see last entry of user williat:
https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-x00-x10-x20-x30-x40-x50-home-59/no-more-support-for-old-devices-1014171/index3.html

I reinstalled the previous version and added a firewall blocking rule for the dutch tomtom 195.5.121.54 (I got that address by using WireShark. When I want to update my TomTom, I start TomTom, wait until it is started, and change blocking into allowing. After the update (GPX and mapshare data) I change it back to blocking. With the laptop, connected via WiFI, it is easier: put the network into flight mode, just before starting Home, and stop flight mode when Home is running.
HansK offline

Postby holyhead » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:32 pm

HansK wrote:I am not the only one; see last entry of user williat:
[Please Register or Login to download file]

I reinstalled the previous version and added a firewall blocking rule for the dutch tomtom 195.5.121.54 (I got that address by using WireShark. When I want to update my TomTom, I start TomTom, wait until it is started, and change blocking into allowing. After the update (GPX and mapshare data) I change it back to blocking. With the laptop, connected via WiFI, it is easier: put the network into flight mode, just before starting Home, and stop flight mode when Home is running.

I don,t know what you try to proof that it is no longer supported is for devices wo update the legal way. The most members on this side don,t pay for the map so what is the problem. You don,t need Home for updating your map.
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby fredderf » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:02 pm

TomTom staff have issued the following and added a few more TT models to the list of now unsupported devices:

TomTom Staff wrote:
Hi all,

A few more old device models have been added to the list Croft posted above. For the full list, please see [Please Register or Login to download file] .

The memory size is indeed not the whole story but this has to do with generally out-dated technology and focusing on the current ones. With the increase in technology and range of products we have created, the company has made an executive decision to stop supporting products that will no longer run on our newest software. This has been a long and arduous undertaking that involved the weighing of many pros and cons. In the end, the decision was made to stop supporting some of our much older devices in order to allow our company to grow. We will respect the life of your device regarding any existing subscriptions.

In regards to purchasing maps and services, the benefit of many of our new products is that they come with lifetime map updates for Europe, and some for the world. Many also come with lifetime traffic and speed camera updates. In this way, you would not have to continually purchase those services year after year.

We do sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this has caused, but we do greatly value your business and have therefore created a special offer on several of our new devices, specifically for customers affected by this End of Life decision. Customer Service can provide more information about this offer.

Cheers, Mikko

Updated list of affected devices:

GO CLASSIC (B1)
GO 300 (M1)
GO 500 (M3) (2005)
GO 510/GO 710 (V5) (2006)
GO 520 (M2/M4) (2007)
GO 530 (J1/J2)
GO 540 (WT)
GO 550 LIVE (W3)
GO 715 (M7)
GO 730 (J3)
GO 750 (W8)
ONE 1st Edition (G1/G2)
ONE 2nd Edition (E1/E2/Z1/Z2/Z3)
ONE 3rd Edition (Y1/Y2/Y3/Y4/Y5/Y7/Y8)
ONE 30 Series/ONE 125 (PA/PB/PE/PH/PN/PV/PP)
ONE XL (L1/L2/L3/L4/L7/L9)
ONE XL HD TRAFFIC (F3)
START (XA/XC)
XL 30 Series (RB/RM/RH/RO/RQ)
XL IQ Routes ²/XL Classic (GG/GH)
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby fredderf » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:02 pm

TomTom Staff response to peoples reaction to the recent developments:

TomTom Staff wrote:
I do understand your disappointment and this is not a decision we've taken lightly. Let me try and explain the rationale behind the decision a bit more.

With the increase in technology and range of products we have created, the company has made an executive decision to stop supporting products that will no longer run on our newest software. This has been a long and arduous undertaking that involved the weighing of many pros and cons. In the end, the decision was made to stop supporting some of our much older devices in order to allow our company to grow. We will respect the life of your device regarding any existing subscriptions.

In regards to purchasing maps and services, the benefit of many of our new products is that they come with lifetime map updates for Europe, and some for the world. Many also come with lifetime traffic and speed camera updates. In this way, you would not have to continually purchase those services year after year.

There are a number of devices which cannot use memory cards or are limited to the size of the memory card that they can use. Map files are growing in size very rapidly. It is to the point where they simply will not fit for a large number of devices. We chose to make the decision to continue to improve the quality of our maps, which involves the devices requiring more internal memory than some of our older devices can accommodate.

We do sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this has caused, but we do greatly value your business and have therefore created a special offer on several of our new devices, specifically for customers affected by this End of Life decision.

Cheers, Mikko
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby dkn9230 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:57 pm

TomTom Staff wrote:Hi all,
A few more old device models have been added to the list Croft posted above. For the full list, please see [Please Register or Login to download file] .
The memory size is indeed not the whole story ................... device regarding any existing subscriptions.

GO 730 (J3)

Seems that there are 2 kinds of Go730's
The mentionned J3, but when I look at mine, it's a J4 (with SD card) !
As far as the J3 or J4 means the first letters of the product number (with the bar code right to it)
Wonder what the difference is between these 2 and why the J3 is affected and the J4 not !
dkn9230 offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby holyhead » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:09 pm

dkn9230 wrote:
TomTom Staff wrote:Hi all,
The memory size is indeed not the whole story ................... device regarding any existing subscriptions.

GO 730 (J3)

Seems that there are 2 kinds of Go730's
The mentionned J3, but when I look at mine, it's a J4 (with SD card) !
As far as the J3 or J4 means the first letters of the product number (with the bar code right to it)
Wonder what the difference is between these 2 and why the J3 is affected and the J4 not !

J3 TomTom GO 730, 1GB + SD 2GB
J4 TomTom GO 730, 2GB + SD 2GB
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby naviboy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:54 pm

On this subject,

Has anyone got an earlier version of TomTom Home than V2.9.93.432, that could be shared and downloaded.
TomTom One XL - 5.5128 BL - 9.541 SE NC - UK + ROI 1105_11755 & Canada-Alaska_1085_11364- 4GB SD Card
naviboy offline

Postby Razorblatter » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:25 pm

Take a look here: [Please Register or Login to download file]

Be sure to be off line when starting TTH or block it from internet via firewall rule.
Razorblatter offline

User avatar Elite Member

Return to General Discussions about TomTom