Can someone explain how IQ Routes work?   

Can someone explain how IQ Routes work?

Postby Gweedz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:04 pm

I know "what" it's supposed to do, just trying to learn as much as possible as to "how" it does it.

Thanks.
Gweedz offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:46 pm

IQ routes stores average road speeds for major roads in hourly intervals throughout the day and over the week instead of the actual speed limit.

This means a route calculated on Monday morning will be different to the same route calculated on a Sunday evening because the average road speeds will be lower on Monday morning.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Gweedz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:23 pm

OK that's pretty much what I figured, here are some questions I have:

1. What is the file name where this data is stored and is it manually editable without having to actually drive a road? There's a road in my area that's always super busy. I don't want to purposely get stuck in traffic just to prove to Tom T. that it's busy.

2. Is there any way of knowing which roads are considered "major" and record driving history?

3. Do the values ever expire? Otherwise I can imagine the file would grow quite large after time, especially with a few cross-country trips.

4. How many "samplings" does it take before using the value in future routings? For example, let's say according to stored road speeds AND reality, road A is quicker than road B. If I take road A for the first time and there's an accident and major delay, will it from then on always route me on road B? Or will it need say 5 or 10 trips on a particular road before it adjusts the average speed from what's stored in the computer?

5. Does TT Home allow this data to be shared?

6. You mention it's recorded hourly. Does that mean if it's 8:02am and has no recorded data from 8-9am, it will not look at data from 7-8am (even if there is data for 7:58am)?

I'll probably have more questions the more I think about it LOL Thanks!
Gweedz offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:50 pm

Gweedz wrote:OK that's pretty much what I figured, here are some questions I have:

1. What is the file name where this data is stored and is it manually editable without having to actually drive a road? There's a road in my area that's always super busy. I don't want to purposely get stuck in traffic just to prove to Tom T. that it's busy.

2. Is there any way of knowing which roads are considered "major" and record driving history?

3. Do the values ever expire? Otherwise I can imagine the file would grow quite large after time, especially with a few cross-country trips.

4. How many "samplings" does it take before using the value in future routings? For example, let's say according to stored road speeds AND reality, road A is quicker than road B. If I take road A for the first time and there's an accident and major delay, will it from then on always route me on road B? Or will it need say 5 or 10 trips on a particular road before it adjusts the average speed from what's stored in the computer?

5. Does TT Home allow this data to be shared?

6. You mention it's recorded hourly. Does that mean if it's 8:02am and has no recorded data from 8-9am, it will not look at data from 7-8am (even if there is data for 7:58am)?

I'll probably have more questions the more I think about it LOL Thanks!

1. The data isn't stored on your unit.
2. No.
3. See point 1.
4. Call TT Support.
5. See point 1.
6. See point 4.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Gweedz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:48 pm

1. Not the computer, but it must be stored in a file on the actual GPS right? See item 5 below.
2. OK. So if TT only considers highways as major roads then it's pretty useless feature.
3. See point 1. Or 5. Or I'm confused. :)
4. I could do that, but I can see them saying something about proprietary info, non disclosure, bla bla.
5. Found my answer = Yes. From TT: Millions of TomTom users worldwide voluntarily provide anonymous historical driving data from each of their trips every time they connect their device to TomTom HOME.
6. See point 4 :)
Gweedz offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:57 pm

On iGO Primo's version of IQ Routes (Historical Data) you can browse the data, It shows the average speed in hourly blocks (7-8, 8-9, 9-10) and what roads it covers (Motorways and major trunk roads only)

Sorry TD :crazy:
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Gweedz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:00 pm

More info in case anyone cares:
Travel time data is stored in Historical Speed Profiles, one for each road segment, covering large motorways, main roads and also small local roads. Historic Speed Profiles are part of the digital map and are updated with every new map release. They give insight into real-world traffic patterns. This is a fact-based routing system based on measured travel times, compared to most other methods which use speed limits or ‘assumed’ speeds.
Gweedz offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Gweedz wrote:1. Not the computer, but it must be stored in a file on the actual GPS right? See item 5 below.
2. OK. So if TT only considers highways as major roads then it's pretty useless feature.
3. See point 1. Or 5. Or I'm confused. :)
4. I could do that, but I can see them saying something about proprietary info, non disclosure, bla bla.
5. Found my answer = Yes. From TT: Millions of TomTom users worldwide voluntarily provide anonymous historical driving data from each of their trips every time they connect their device to TomTom HOME.
6. See point 4 :)

1. NO.
2. NO more than just major roads are involved.
3. Again see point 1.
4. Whatever.
5. Yep it is called "Map Share". My original answer was based on your assumption that all of this data was stored on a unit, which it isn't.
6. LOL!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Gweedz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:30 pm

5. When I'm driving down the road and IQ route is measuring my travel time, where does it store this data? It must be stored somewhere so it can later be uploaded via Map Share. That's the file I'm looking for. Then I'll experiment with it to see if it's editable, etc.
Gweedz offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom