Rosen P11 Unit Max SD Card Size?   

Re: Rosen P11 Unit Max SD Card Size?

Postby hairydog » Mon May 16, 2016 10:39 am

jtrosky wrote:10 seconds doesn't sound like a long time until you're sitting there in the car waiting for the GPS app to load after starting the car!

I don't think I agree. In particular, if your car engine has a turbocharger, an extra 10 seconds of running before driving will hugely extend the life of the turbo (even more important is ten seconds idle at the end of the journey).

However, a few seconds pause and relaxation before driving off will make you a calmer, safer driver even if there is no turbo to look after.

OK, if you are driving a fire tender, it is different. But most people could simply get out of bed ten seconds earlier and have a less-stressed day.
hairydog offline

Postby jtrosky » Mon May 16, 2016 11:52 am

Oh, there is still plenty of time for "pause and relaxation before driving off"! What I'm saying is that I much prefer only having to wait 15 seconds for the GPS app to load than having to wait 25, 35 or 45 seconds for it to load! A 10 second difference seems like forever when you're sitting there with the car running, seat-belt on and ready to go...

I'd rather *I* control when I can leave instead of the GPS app to control when I can leave. :-) This is especially annoying if you have to stop at a gas station or something (any quick stop where you have to wait for it to reload again).

If anything, the extra waiting just aggravates me more than it relaxes me!

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
jtrosky offline

Postby hairydog » Mon May 16, 2016 3:32 pm

How about next time you refuel, you turn the engine off then turn the ignition on again, so the GPS starts up again whilst you fill?
hairydog offline

Postby jtrosky » Mon May 16, 2016 3:39 pm

You are missing the point - that was just one example. Most of the time I stop at gas stations, it's not for gas (it's for items inside the little store), so you wouldn't want to leave your keys in the ignition! Besides, the GPS system restarts even when going from ACC to Start. :-)

Regardless, my point is why wouldn't you want the GPS application to start faster?? It just makes no sense that you'd want it to take longer than it needs to. If it can start in 18 seconds compared to 42 seconds, why wouldn't you want that?

I'm not quite understanding what you point is here.... Are you suggesting that we shouldn't try to get it to start faster if we can??

jtrosky offline

Postby upss » Mon May 16, 2016 8:53 pm

@jtrosky, Well I tried your setup and basically I get very similar results, it doesn't make much of a difference how many maps I have installed (50 or just 1) nor the speed of the SD card (I also know for a fact that my class 10 SD is much faster than my class 4 SD). Except for your map changer ux and some additional instruction in your sys.txt file, our setups are almost identical. Our start up times difference must be due to our Skin, Hardware and CE differences. BTW, my Dimka skin has the map changer built-in so that may be the difference in the skin file size.

Here is my branding file [Please Register or Login to download file] you may want to check it out. I looked literally at dozens of different branding files and this one is the best for North America, none of the other come even close.
upss offline

Postby jtrosky » Mon May 16, 2016 11:53 pm

Thanks for the update. That is very strange that your Primo loads in the same amount of time, regardless of how many map/poi files are present or how fast the SD card is. I can't explain it. I know it's a different OS, different hardware and a different versions of Windows CE, but it's still strange. Even if you use the stock skin, the number of maps/pois doesn't alter the startup time much? I completely believe you that it doesn't, but I just don't understand it.

So how low were you able to get your startup time? About 17 or 18 seconds is as fast as I can get mine with 9 states on a Class 10 SD card.

Thanks for the branding.zip - I'll give it a shot. I've just had terrible experiences with "custom" branding .zip file - with icons being different shapes, different sized, showing different results in 2D & 3D, etc. So far, I've settled on the newest TomTom POI files, which have the icons embedded for some of the major companies. But like I said, I'll give yours a shot next.

jtrosky offline

Postby upss » Tue May 17, 2016 1:38 am

50 states maps, class 4 SD, stock skin, starting time ~22 seconds.
Same as above but with Dimka P174 skin, starting time ~37 seconds. What is interesting, I had several different skins in the Skin folder, by removing the skins I was NOT using, the starting time was reduced by ~5 seconds. Apparently the software was scanning even the skins I was not using each startup. What is different is that not like in your case, having only one state map didn't make much of a difference in the starting time. It sounds to me like some of the data in my case is being cache in memory so the software doesn't have to rescan the entire Map folder every time I restart the software, I am not sure, just an educated guess.

As far as the Branding file, you are right none of them is perfect but it is much better than nothing and you still have the icon that are now included in the POI files so you are not losing anything.
upss offline

Postby jtrosky » Tue May 17, 2016 10:31 am

Some more interesting info.... So I decided to try and remove my mapchanger and put all of my maps back to see if the mapchanger was causing the startup to take longer with more maps. Well, for whatever reason, cutting-and-pasting the map files from one place to another on the SD card screwed up my SD card - Primo would now crash everytime I tried to start it (and yes, I removed the SD card properly from the Windows PC where I did the moving).

So, I reformatted the card (using 64kb instead of 32kb "allocation unit size") and copied the files back to the SD card. My startup time went from 18 seconds down to about 13 seconds! :-) What makes this ever stranger is that I checked the SD card for fragmentation a few hours before this and there was none (0%), so it doesn't appear to be fragmentation-related. Could be related to the "allocation unit size" change too - not sure if that played a part.

Anyway, I'm now going to try putting all states back (without mapchanger) and see if that changes anything. Will also do some other tests.

Now you've done it - you done turned me into a "startup time nazi"! ;-)

jtrosky offline

Postby jtrosky » Tue May 17, 2016 11:46 am

Ok, so it looks like the mapchanger only adds 2 or 3 seconds to the startup time - regardless of how many maps are installed...

So I've decided to go with the "9 state" setup on my Class 10 SD card - and my startup time is now at 13 seconds - this setup includes maps, pois, buildings, huge .dem file (300mb), individual state phoneme files and the Decent skin. I'm extremely happy with that!

Much better than the ~27 second startup time that I started with.

I did also try the same tests with the default skin and there was no significant difference in startup time between it and the Decent skin.

This exact same setup with all 50 state map/building/poi and phoneme files raised the startup time to about 23 seconds. So I reduced the startup time by 10 seconds by removing the map files that I'll most likely never use. But, like I said, I do keep them on the SD card - just in a directory off of the root of the SD card. This way, if I ever do need them, they are quickly and easily installed.

jtrosky offline

Postby MrVivona » Mon May 30, 2016 5:54 pm

I got my Class 10 SD card and checked startup times. The original Rosen SD card, a Class 4, took 40 seconds. The new setup with the cr@cked Primo 2.4 on a Class 4 card took 25 seconds. The same Primo 2.4 setup on a Class 10 card took 20 seconds. So going from a Class 4 to a Class 10 reduced startup time by 20%.

Though I didn't verify this, my guess is that the big difference between the original Rosen (Class 4) card and either of the Primo 2.4 cards, is that the Rosen setup has a branding.zip and a data.zip file, whereas the Primo 2.4 cards only have the data.zip file. The only other variables would be a difference between Primo versions or the need for the Rosen copy to read and verify licenses.

While on the subject of licenses, though Primo 2.4 is a cr@cked version, I noticed it had ten licenses in the license folder. Are all of these necessary? I tried deleting them and it wouldn't start. I added back four of them and it starts and seems to work fine, but I have not tested extensively. I like to keep my installations uncluttered, so without going through a lot of trial and error, which licenses are needed for a North America maps (with DEM, POI, etc) and which can I delete from the license folder?
MrVivona offline

Postby chas521 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:48 pm

None is the best answer.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby jtrosky » Mon May 30, 2016 10:12 pm

You definitely need the majority of those license files in order to keep all "features" working. While the app is cr@cked, it's cr@cked in a way that you still need certain license files in order for everything to work.

You can try removing them one at a time and then checked to make sure that all "features" are still active. To see what it still active, just go into "More" -> Help -> About -> Content and then go into each item there and make sure none of them say "Inactive Content".

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it - there isn't much to gain by removing any of the license files - they are tiny size-wise and from what I've seen, they don't increase startup time...

It's interesting that your startup time went from 40 seconds to 25 seconds just by going from the "legit" Rosen Primo to the cr@cked Primo (both on a class 4 SD card). Although, it seems that the SD card "class" isn't a true indicator of speed, so that may be the biggest reason (one of the class 4 cards is just faster than the other).

jtrosky offline

Postby MrVivona » Tue May 31, 2016 5:16 am

jtrosky wrote:You definitely need the majority of those license files in order to keep all "features" working. While the app is cr@cked, it's cr@cked in a way that you still need certain license files in order for everything to work.

I did check and Address Points were shown as inactive. So, as you recommended, I put all the .lic and .lyc files in the license folder and that restored the Address Points. At first, I thought the Pre-Processed Road Network (hnr files) were also inactive because they showed in red in the content list. But, upon looking closer, I noticed that it didn't say they were inactive, it said "missing maps". Since the Pre-Processed Road Network involves travel between countries, it would make sense that it would report missing maps since I only have the USA maps installed and not Canada or Mexico.
Last edited by MrVivona on Tue May 31, 2016 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrVivona offline

Postby MrVivona » Tue May 31, 2016 5:57 am

jtrosky wrote:It's interesting that your startup time went from 40 seconds to 25 seconds just by going from the "legit" Rosen Primo to the cr@cked Primo (both on a class 4 SD card). Although, it seems that the SD card "class" isn't a true indicator of speed, so that may be the biggest reason (one of the class 4 cards is just faster than the other).

Though I haven't tested it, I'd guess not having a branding.zip file to go through also speeds things up.
MrVivona offline

Postby jtrosky » Tue May 31, 2016 6:11 pm

Also, you can still keep the hnr files active even when you don't have all maps installed with this sys.txt parameter:

Under the "[route]" section, add this parameter:
Code: Select all
hnr_ignore_missing_country_ids=*

jtrosky offline

Previous

Return to General Discussions about iGO core