Primo zooming when navigating   

Primo zooming when navigating

Postby gachbash » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:56 am

Hi all
I am using on my Mio C520 the old good IGO8. The BEST.
But on my Android Samsung smartphone S3 I am forced to use the Primo version of Igo.
Can anybody tell me how to zoom in out and staying on my new zoom when navigating? It was possible on Igo8. It is possible on Google maps.
But I can not do it on Primo.
Thanks
gachbash offline

User avatar Junior Member

Re: Primo zooming when navigating

Postby jtrosky » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:49 am

Yeah, I don't know why the removed that functionality from the user interface in Primo... I loved being able to easily customize the zoom and tilt levels in iGo 8.

it can be done in Primo, but you have to use sys.txt entries to do it. Unless there are some UX plugins that add that functionality that I'm not aware of.

I'm actually in the middle of messing with the sys.txt parameters that affect the zoom levels. I'll post more details as I know more (unless someone else posts the specifics before I do).

I used to be a big iGo8 fan, but have recently made the switch to Primo 2.4. Primo does have some really nice features and the display just generally looks better as well. The downside is that the screen updates are much less "smooth". I've been trying to improve that, but not having much success. Primo 2.0 screen updates were smother, but got noticeably less smooth with 2.4. However, 2.4 adds a significant amount of functionality (better skins, UX "plugins", etc). Although, if my main skin (Decent 6.5.1) supported horizontal data fields in 2.0, I may consider going back to 2.0 - but the skin doesn't support the horizontal data field in 2.0 (one of the main featured that I like about the Decent skin).

Anyway, I'll get back to you on the zoom levels ASAP...

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
jtrosky offline

Postby gachbash » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Thank you for your quick reply.
I did not discover any advantage of the Primo 2.4 over Igo.
I am using the excellent Dimka skin on Igo. Not perfect (ex. The stupid Remove destination when destination is the same) but better then all Primo skins.
What UX add ons can do for me?
Can you give me some examples?
Have a nice day
gachbash offline

Postby jtrosky » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:47 am

Here are some of the reasons that I finally decided to switch to Primo (it's been a while, so I'm sure I'm forgetting some):

- Graphically, it just looks nicer. I personally never liked the Dimka skins - I always thought that they made the screen look too cluttered and not very "professional" looking. I know that I'm in the minority here as most people love them. I like clean-looking GPS screens - my favorite iGo 8 skin was the Kikker skin - nice, clean interface. For Primo, my favorite skin is the "Decent" skin - again, nice clean interface. The Dimka skins also seem to really slow iGO down, both in startup and in general while using the app. They try to add too much, in my opinion. Sure, you can disable most things, but if you're going to do that, why bother having them to begin with. I prefer only adding things that I'm going to use, which is where the UX add-ons come into play with Primo....

- The "UX" add-ons for Primo are really cool. Basically, it's an easy way for developers to write add-ons to Primo. Most of the functions you see in skins are also available separately as a UX plugin. I only use a few myself, since the Decent skin provides most of what I need. The UX plugins that I personally use are:
- "External Programs"
- "MapChanger"
- "RoutePlanningMethod"
- "QuickUserProfile"
- "OverviewNorthUp"
- Dynamic Volume
- quite a few TTS-related enancements (toll both TTS alerts, speed-limit increasing TTS alerts, ETA TTS alerts, CarSize, Quick Detour TTS alerts, etc.

- I also like the way that Primo gives you an icon while on the highway to easily see how far the next few exits are and what restaurants, gas stations and auto-repair facilities are available at the next few exits. This is all done with a little button that appears on the main map screen. VERY nice feature.

- Primo also has a lot of other little enhancements - such as when speeding, it can actually say what the speed limit is (iGo8 would just say you're speeding, but not actually say what the speed limit is).

- Primo uses Loquendo 7 (instead of Loquendo 6), which offers some enhancements. It also supports both Loquendo and Nuance TTS engines. For US English, I have 7 different TTS voices available.

- Primo also shows you the nice green overhead signs for exits on the highway and really nice graphical screens of common intersections on the highway (I can't remember what the "official" name is for these right now!).

The downsides to Primo 2.4 are that the screen updates are not as smooth as iGo8 - the screen updates in small "chunks" instead of the faster, smoother screen updates with iGo8. However, since you're not normally watching the GPS screen constantly while driving, the things I mentioned above are more important in "real life". iGo8 also had better "view" customization options from the app interface (zoom levels, tilt levels, etc). With Primo, if you don't like the standard zoom and tilt levels it offers, you have to adjust via sys.txt, which is a pain.

jtrosky offline

Postby gachbash » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:02 am

Sorry for the late reply...
You are giving me hope... Maybe one day Primo will work as it should...
As i wrote before , No zooming in Primo... This is a major flaw...
Another thing in the POI system... Primitive... No connection to Google search... Try Google maps and compare... In Primo you need the exact address to be able to navigate... If you look for a hotel named Apolo in London it is much easier to find it by "Hotel Apolo London" in Google Maps then by address or the Primo POI system... And there is this Primo stupid new ZIP code....
Another thing are the menus in Primo. They are not well organized and you are forced to search in the "More" option too many times... It is NOT CLEVER ...
Anyhow, I am forced to use Primo in my Android Samsung Smartphone unless i find a better software.
You see what I mean?
gachbash offline

Postby jtrosky » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Not quite sure how we got to comparing Primo with Google Maps... :-) I was simply comparing iGo 8 to iGo Primo. Really, Google Maps and iGo8/Primo are different types of apps. Google maps requires an internet connection - it's an "online" mapping software with navigation function, whereas iGo8 and iGo Primo are primarily dedicated "off-line" navigation apps. All of that nice functionality in Google Maps doesn't do you any good if you don't have an internet connection. :-)

My head-unit is not internet-connected, but I do know that you can Google search for POIs with Primo (not sure about iGo 8). Besides the Google searches, Primo has just as, if not more flexible POI searching than iGo 8. I usually use POIs for navigation. Rarely have to enter addresses (unless navigating to someones home, obviously).

Which version of Primo are you using? I never use the "More" menu? If you haven't looked at Primo 2.4, maybe try it (almost sounds like you are using an older version of Primo).

Regarding the zooming, Primo does have (3) different "preset" zoom levels - Low, Normal and High - you can select them in Map options (easy accessed via Quick Menu, or via Settings Menu) If you want to setup a few different zoom-level presets, you can do that with the [camera1], [camera2] and [camera3] sys.txt categories. You can set different presets for 2D and 3D. Can also set tilt levels. While not as flexible as iGo 8, you can at least setup 3 different presets for zoom levels you use often.

When browsing the map, you can alter zoom levels and tilt levels all you want (just like iGo 8).

I think that if you spend a little more time with Primo, you'll find that it's actually a lot nicer than iGo 8. Just different. It's more "polished", in my opinion.

Sent from my RemixOS PC using Tapatalk!
jtrosky offline

Postby gachbash » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:56 pm

Me again
Sorry for the late reply.
I decided to have a better look at the Primo...
Do you think there is big difference between Primo and Primo NextGen? is TTS is better in the NextGen?
There are many versions for both...
Thanks
gachbash offline

Postby jtrosky » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:19 pm

Primo and NextGen are *very* different. NextGen is the latest navigation app from NNG. In my experience, NextGen is not well suited for WinCE devices - it seems to run a lot better on Android though. Typically, WinCE devices have less processing power and less RAM than Android devices. Since you are using Android, you may like NextGen better (personally, I still prefer Primo).

I don't think that there is much difference with TTS between Primo and NextGen. NextGen *may* have the ability to speak more items via TTS natively, but you can usually find UX plugins for Primo that will make it comparable.

I would say that you should try both and see what fits your needs better. The order in which the NNG navigation apps were released are: iGo 2006 -> iGo 2006SE -.> iGo8 -> iGo Amigo -> iGo Primo -> iGo NextGen. Don't even bother looking for or trying Amigo - it was horrible. :-)

jtrosky offline

Postby gachbash » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Yes ... Amigo version is like Vista for Windows...
On my Mio c310 and c520 i will keep the IGO8.. Working flawlessly ... incl TTS.
On my Samsung S3 , i will investigate the NextGen.
I Hope the NextGen on Android is better then older Primo...
For now i have on my Samsung the Google TTS and the Ivona TTS. I will try to add the Nuance TTS too.
I am looking around for voices working with these TTS .
gachbash offline

Postby holyhead » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:21 pm

jtrosky wrote:Primo and NextGen are *very* different. NextGen is the latest navigation app from NNG. In my experience, NextGen is not well suited for WinCE devices - it seems to run a lot better on Android though. Typically, WinCE devices have less processing power and less RAM than Android devices. Since you are using Android, you may like NextGen better (personally, I still prefer Primo).

I don't think that there is much difference with TTS between Primo and NextGen. NextGen *may* have the ability to speak more items via TTS natively, but you can usually find UX plugins for Primo that will make it comparable.

I would say that you should try both and see what fits your needs better. The order in which the NNG navigation apps were released are: iGo 2006 -> iGo 2006SE -.> iGo8 -> iGo Amigo -> iGo Primo -> iGo NextGen. Don't even bother looking for or trying Amigo - it was horrible. :-)

Do not even bother looking for or trying Amigo - it was horrible.
Is a bit exaggerated it depends on what you want. It's a simple system that takes you from A to B
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby jtrosky » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:45 pm

I just don't see any reason why anyone would want Amigo when iGo8, Primo and NextGen are more readily available. I consider Amigo just a develoopment "stepping stone" between iGo8 and iGo Primo - not a product that anyone would actually prefer over the others available.

jtrosky offline

Postby gachbash » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:32 pm

Just tried NextGen on Android Samsung S3.
A step down from Primo. Not intuitive. I do not like it at all.
A big disappointment. What is the need for a new version which is not better then the present Primo version?
gachbash offline

Postby chas521 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:00 pm

My opinions but may not be yours.

1. I tried NextGen on my Samsung Android S5 phone. Didn't like it. Very similar to Primo 2.4. NG has license issues while 2.4 works with all content. Deleted NG and reinstalled my 2.4.
2. I much prefer my Amigo which I modified over any Primo. It is not only an A to B nav but has all the elements of Primo and many of igo8. However, igo8 was and still is the best IMO. Wish I had igo8 for my Android phone.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby gachbash » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:28 pm

IGO8 is the best. But not working on Android.
Primo 2.4 is OK.
NextGen is a flop.
Can you give me a link to Amigo for Android? I will try it...
Thanks
gachbash offline

Postby chas521 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:31 pm

gachbash wrote:IGO8 is the best. But not working on Android.
Primo 2.4 is OK.
NextGen is a flop.
Can you give me a link to Amigo for Android? I will try it... Thanks
OK, but know that my Amigo is for WinCE only. Do you still want it?
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core