My personal Primo experience   

My personal Primo experience

Postby chas521 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:22 pm

I imagine that a few out there reading this have experienced what I am about to say.

I was excited when the new nav came out called Primo and I was looking forward to downloading and installing the program. I didn't have any problems that many of you are now experiencing. That's why I uploaded the Primo from my device so you could just download and install and pretty much get it working "out of the box." Also, my upload contained the TTS folder that I uploaded with all the modified English-speaking voices for WinCE 5.0.

Now for my experience: When I first tried Primo, it had me making a right turn on a street when a left turn was called for. I know this because it was in my neighborhood. At first I thought it was the mapset I was using. I was using Navteq Q1 2009 NA so I changed to the next mapset - Navteq Q2 2009 NA and the result was the same. I changed again to the new TA maps for NA and again the same result. Now I just changed to Navteq 2010 NA maps and the same result. So, it's not the mapset!

Here's what happened with all of them. It had me making a right turn at the next block called Plymouth Ave. when it should have had me making a left turn on 2nd St. I wanted to see where it would lead me so I made that right turn on Plymouth and it made another right turn on Second St. where the left turn should have been made to begin with. After that it was fine. But it did take me out of the way. Incidentally, I tried the same route with iGO 8.3 and Amigo and they were both perfect. So it's iGO and Amigo for me. Hope they get Primo sorted out.

Any of this sound familiar?
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Carfreak500 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:40 am

No major problems with it, I'm running the Q4 Navteq maps and it seems to do pretty good. Although it has froze on me occasionally, a reboot cures that problem. Other than that it's pretty decent. Once I installed the Gurjon skin it is a lot more user friendly. It unlocks a lot of the Primo's potential. Just my 2 cents worth
Mio c320 with a 16GB SD Card
Igo Primo 1.1 and Primo 1.2
Igo 8.3
Destinator 9
Navigon Navigator
Garmin Software
And the Antique Mio 3.3

Using one of Xtyler92's superb Unlocks
Carfreak500 offline

Postby VFR800VTEC » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:48 am

chas521 wrote:
Here's what happened with all of them. It had me making a right turn at the next block called Plymouth Ave. when it should have had me making a left turn on 2nd St. I wanted to see where it would lead me so I made that right turn on Plymouth and it made another right turn on Second St. where the left turn should have been made to begin with.

Did you try the other route alternatives? It may have something to do with right turns being faster and more economical than left turns. You know there's that whole deal about delivery companies planning their routes with all right turns because it saves time and gas.

Edit: nevermind about the right turns..... I just realized you're over there where they drive on the wrong side of the road.... so that wouldn't make much sense. Over here it's easier to make right turns.
VFR800VTEC offline

Postby chas521 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:28 pm

VFR800VTEC wrote:Did you try the other route alternatives? It may have something to do with right turns being faster and more economical than left turns. You know there's that whole deal about delivery companies planning their routes with all right turns because it saves time and gas.

Edit: nevermind about the right turns..... I just realized you're over there where they drive on the wrong side of the road.... so that wouldn't make much sense. Over here it's easier to make right turns.

Gee, thanks for your reply but I would think that it's you who drive on the wrong side of the road since the steering wheel here is on the left side = LOL You may make "right" turns but here in the US we make the correct turns.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby VFR800VTEC » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:37 pm

chas, I thought you were in Britain based on the Union Jack next to your name. I am in the US. It's more efficient to make right turns because you don't have to wait for green lights or oncoming traffic. Maybe Primo is smarter than you think? I just thought if you had seleted Eco or Simple routing it may explain the odd route.

[Please Register or Login to download file]

VFR800VTEC offline

Postby chas521 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:45 pm

VFR800VTEC wrote:chas, I thought you were in Britain based on the Union Jack next to your name. I am in the US. It's more efficient to make right turns because you don't have to wait for green lights or oncoming traffic. Maybe Primo is smarter than you think? I just thought if you had seleted Eco or Simple routing it may explain the odd route.

You're not the first person to think that a few of us mods are "over there" because of the flag next to our name. The British flag next to our names is supposed to indicate that we're from the English forum not our home country. This point has been raised among the mods. Seriously, thanks for noticing. I am going to push it again using your post here in the mod's room.

I'm not talking about a great deal of time lost making those additional right turns but I did have to wait at the light again for it to turn green and incidentally, it was red when the whole thing started so it was actually two red lights.

EDIT: Flags are now gone! Thanks for your assistance.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core