Out of Memory Error on Primo   

Out of Memory Error on Primo

Postby andy.tae.koh » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:10 am

HI,
I just installed Primo on my Nav 740.
When I run Primo, it goes through the first screen and ask for language selection. I only included US english and UK english from iGO 8.3. When I choose a language, any language, I get "out of memory, requested: 24117248, Cache: 0" error message. Is this error occurring because my device cannot handle the program? Is there a resolution for this error message?

Thanks
andy.tae.koh offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:30 pm

andy.tae.koh wrote:HI,
I just installed Primo on my Nav 740.
When I run Primo, it goes through the first screen and ask for language selection. I only included US english and UK english from iGO 8.3. When I choose a language, any language, I get "out of memory, requested: 24117248, Cache: 0" error message. Is this error occurring because my device cannot handle the program? Is there a resolution for this error message?

Thanks

You might want to read this:
http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?915-Howto-solve-memory-issues
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby andy.tae.koh » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:48 am

Thanks for the reply chas521.
However, the linked thread does not address my kind of problem. The addressed problems assume that I can run the program in the first place. In my case, I cannot even start the program! I have seen other people asking also the same question in other forums, but there were no replies. I thought I could get help from more reputable forum. I trust in you guy! HELP!!!!
andy.tae.koh offline

Postby NRT » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:20 am

andy.tae.koh wrote:Thanks for the reply chas521.
However, the linked thread does not address my kind of problem. The addressed problems assume that I can run the program in the first place. In my case, I cannot even start the program! I have seen other people asking also the same question in other forums, but there were no replies. I thought I could get help from more reputable forum. I trust in you guy! HELP!!!!

Just make sure iGO and/or Amigo are not on the same sd card as Primo.
NRT offline

User avatar Member

Postby chas521 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:46 pm

NRT wrote:Just make sure iGO and/or Amigo are not on the same sd card as Primo.

Well, yes and no. If you add this entry to Primo's sys.txt then you can have different NNG programs on the same card without any name changes.

Add to sys.txt
[folders]
has_secondary_root=0

As for the language issue, I'm not so sure that you can use some files from iGO8.3 in Primo even though it's content. I believe there is something written internally in those files that causes a conflict. When I d/l my Primo program, it came with the language files and I just let them install and there was no problem. Unless there's a space problem, I always go by the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" rule.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Black Wolf » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:39 pm

This kind of error for PRIM on Win CE PNA with 64MB is related to some content of IGO8, or problem with low memory, cause 64mb isn't enough for Primo, if you know that your device spend some RAM memory for runing OS, etc. or some another app in backround, if you can access to task manager on that device, check do you have some application - processes runing in backround, and close all them!

To be clear everything, delete all content of your SD Card where you had igo8, or another location, and download original release for 480x272 pna, and copy-paste that primo folder on sd card or where you had previously igo8, use lang files, voice files , etc. from original release, and test it to be sure what cause problem with ram memory!
I'm all what I'm not!

NO PM SUPPORT, All your questions, write to the FORUM!

USE BUTTON THANKS INSTEAD WRITING THANKS!!!
Black Wolf offline

User avatar Banned Users

Postby xtyler92 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:22 am

Hmm.... I agree that 64MB of memory is not ideal for Primo, however I have it running on several devices with 64MB of memory and haven't had any problems... well at least not on the 480x272 devices using the original NNG data.zip. On my 320x240 devices I run into some problems, but I attribute them to the patched data.zips more than as a memory problem. Since every device is different... and as you mentioned other non-navigation factors could play a role. It might be best just to use Primo on it's own SD card (even though the sys.txt thing seems to work). Also since Primo seems to need most (if not every bit) of the 64MB of memory, probably best not to use any speedcam files.... or if you do then to sacrifice something else like the dem or TTS. Another thing people can do is to use the lower memory nuevo TTS files instead of the LOQ ones. It doesn't save a lot of memory, but with 64MB of RAM you might want to keep as much of that free as possible. Also watch what unlock you are using. People don't always realize that some unlocks (like MioPocket) use a lot of memory. Probably best to use something simple without a lot of registry changes and added .dll's that come with the larger unlocks. They all use up a lot of memory. So while diagnosing the problem, first consider what applications you might be running before even launching Primo.... unlocks and the sort. That could be the root of there not being enough memory. As I said, on my 64MB devices with the original NNG data.zip I haven't experienced a memory problem yet... knock on wood.
xtyler92 offline

Postby Black Wolf » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:05 am

I agree totally, i though about these things, unlock which use part of free ram, some apps in backround, some unecessary processes (like always started as service), all these thing spend a part of free RAM memory. For man like you i don't care :) , cause i know that you'll leave as much as possible free RAM memory :) , and i agree with your opinion about no mixing igo8 and amigo on same SD Card, today SD Cards are very cheap 7-8$ 2GB and most of us can buy separately sd card for igo/amigo and primo, i don't see why people continue to use igo8, cause primo is great... I put primo on nav of my brother, he went in some Europe countries last visit, and he told me view on roads is unbelievable, 3D view, showing of directions, and other things are great!
I'm all what I'm not!

NO PM SUPPORT, All your questions, write to the FORUM!

USE BUTTON THANKS INSTEAD WRITING THANKS!!!
Black Wolf offline

User avatar Banned Users

Postby xtyler92 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:24 pm

I find it hard to go back to igo8.... however I see more people questioning Primo's routing. I think it might be easier to go back if Primo did fail me in some way. Thus far no problems though. It's funny though because igo8 has given me some questionable routing in the past and for some reason I am holding Primo up to a higher standard. I always forget my own advice that people keep a backup navi program with them (in the US GarminXT and in Europe TomTom). As great as NNG products are, they still don't add up to the better routes in the routing category of some of the other navi programs. Not that they are bad or undependable, usually a bad route from NNG only takes you a few miles out of the way.... so still very dependable when lost. It's why I get so curious when people mention some questionable route with Primo, since I am sure we have all experienced a questionable route with igo8 or Amigo a time or two. However, if there is a flaw within the routing engine of Primo, I am sure it will be addressed and taken care of in future releases.
xtyler92 offline

Postby chas521 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:34 pm

xtyler92 wrote:I find it hard to go back to igo8.... however I see more people questioning Primo's routing. I think it might be easier to go back if Primo did fail me in some way. Thus far no problems though. It's funny though because igo8 has given me some questionable routing in the past and for some reason I am holding Primo up to a higher standard. I always forget my own advice that people keep a backup navi program with them (in the US GarminXT and in Europe TomTom). As great as NNG products are, they still don't add up to the better routes in the routing category of some of the other navi programs. Not that they are bad or undependable, usually a bad route from NNG only takes you a few miles out of the way.... so still very dependable when lost. It's why I get so curious when people mention some questionable route with Primo, since I am sure we have all experienced a questionable route with igo8 or Amigo a time or two. However, if there is a flaw within the routing engine of Primo, I am sure it will be addressed and taken care of in future releases.

OK, have to chime in here a bit. I wasn't going to add about Primo and its routing because I've already posted what I thought previously. But I do have to share yesterday's fiasco [of sorts] with Primo. I was using Navteq Q1 2009 maps with Primo and the routing was way off. Not just bad but way off. It had me making right turns on streets when a left turn was called for - WHAT!!!. So I switched to the Navteq Q2 2009 maps and guess what - same bad navigation. So it's Amigo and iGO8.3 for me and Primo just stays in the background.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby scarey » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:53 pm

have you tried teleatlas maps chas...
scarey offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby chas521 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:15 pm

scarey wrote:have you tried teleatlas maps chas...

Yes, they are not good here in the US. Good for Europe but not here.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core