How to make TMC work?   

How to make TMC work?

Postby mpourdas » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi all,

I apologize in advance because my question will be perhaps a bit naive, but I have to start from somewhere. I have a wayteq x960bt which is supposed to have an FM transmitter and bluetooth. If you google it, the first link ([Please Register or Login to download file] ) shows the website of the device and its specifications.

In my main folder I have two files apart the main Primo2.exe fil, which are nnghal.dll and vautov5.dll. In my content/tmc folder there are the relevant files for various countries. I have it activated in the traffic settings.

What else do I need to make it work? An antenna like this one ([Please Register or Login to download file] Can it be done in some other way, some bluetooth connection?

Thanks.
mpourdas offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:40 pm

If your device does not have an internal TMC chip (yours does not) or an external TMC module that is compatible with your device (which you do not at this point), then the reception of TMC signals is not possible.
mpourdas wrote:Can it be done in some other way, some bluetooth connection?

No. Unless you acquire a bluetooth TMC receiver and are able to make a connection to your GPS which may be unlikely, and will not be cheap.

TMC and "FM transmitter" are not the same and not related to each other.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby mpourdas » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks for the fast response and the explanations. So, I do need the TMC receiver given in the link of my opening post... Other than that, do you think I miss any file in the installation?
mpourdas offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:13 pm

mpourdas wrote:So, I do need the TMC receiver given in the link of my opening post.

I don't know, the link you posted resulted in this:
The page you requested does not exist. For your convenience, a search was performed using the query node 284.
No results.

mpourdas wrote:Other than that, do you think I miss any file in the installation?

To work in iGo or Primo, you typically need a *.dll file particular to the TMC receiver/chip you have in the root of the igo/Primo folder.
This can be named similar to gpstmc.dll, tmc.dll or others. Not just any *.dll will work, the correct one usually comes with the TMC device.

I would suggest you contact WayTeq for the best advice or add-on hardware for your unit.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby mpourdas » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:54 pm

The link works, it is just there was a parenthesis and a question mark after the link [Please Register or Login to download file]

But the receiver in that link is not available in their online shop. So I have to contact them anyway and ask them to recommend me an alternative. Thanks again.
mpourdas offline

Postby ovalball » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:29 pm

Has anyone managed to get the wayteq TMC working with a wayteq 960 running primo 2 please?If so could you please explain how you did it.
ovalball offline

Postby mpourdas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:47 pm

I have ordered the TMC receiver in the link posted above (through the german amazon). When it arrives I will let you know here my experience.
mpourdas offline

Postby pippolippi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:15 pm

Yurbuh Tuggly wrote:No. Unless you acquire a bluetooth TMC receiver and are able to make a connection to your GPS which may be unlikely, and will not be cheap.

I reckon that my solution involves quite a bit of DIY trickery, but I bought a TMC serial receiver (using the royaltek chipset) on ebay for $9.99, then I bought a bluetooth to serial transceiver on dealextreme for $8.60.
I connected the bluetooth transceiver to the TMC receiver, I paired my device to the bluetooth transceiver and with bt2com.exe I mapped it to a COM port that igo uses.
Not easy to do but really cheap (less than $20).
Oh, I also had to write a program to re-enable the bluetooth after a resume and try and open the serial port, so that igo doesn't notice any disruption.
pippolippi offline

Postby mpourdas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi pippolippi and thanks for the input. From my side at the moment I just can say that I have ordered that "official" tmc receiver and has cost me around 29€, shipping included. I will post back as soon as I get it and try to make it work.
mpourdas offline

Postby pippolippi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:17 pm

Hey, my solution is cumbersome, and it's just because my device has no other way to connect a tmc receiver (no serial port), so I had to use bluetooth.
If you have a TMC receiver matched to your device it will be surely better.
pippolippi offline

Postby mpourdas » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:10 pm

Yurbuh Tuggly wrote:To work in iGo or Primo, you typically need a *.dll file particular to the TMC receiver/chip you have in the root of the igo/Primo folder.
This can be named similar to gpstmc.dll, tmc.dll or others. Not just any *.dll will work, the correct one usually comes with the TMC device.

So I got the TMC receiver, but I do not know where to get from the necessary .dll. Nothing in the box, nor in the torrent file here at NT. I have seen various .dll's from other sources, but according to the above it will be total luck if a random .dll from another place will do the job. Any suggestion, before contacting wayteq?
mpourdas offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:12 am

mpourdas wrote:So I got the TMC receiver, but I do not know where to get from the necessary .dll.

So at this point it does not work...just plugging it in?
Do you know the 'chipset' on the TMC device? If you have to try the random DLL approach, this would at least narrow it down.
Or, yes..contact WayTeq if it is their device...they should know what is required.

[color="#FF0000"]EDIT PS:[/color]
If you contact WayTeq, you may want to be careful what you say if you have replaced/installed your own navigation software other than what came with it. They may be unlikely to offer 'support' for any versions of anything that they did not provide.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby ovalball » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:24 am

mpourdas wrote:Hi pippolippi and thanks for the input. From my side at the moment I just can say that I have ordered that "official" tmc receiver and has cost me around 29€, shipping included. I will post back as soon as I get it and try to make it work.

Thank you for your reply.I will also try to contact Wayteq to see what they can tell us.I look forward to getting the TMC working eventually!
ovalball offline

Postby pippolippi » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:24 pm

Yurbuh Tuggly wrote:Do you know the 'chipset' on the TMC device?

From the link he posted, which says RTA-3000, I suppose it's a royaltek.
I also think (but I'm not sure due to the lack of documentation), that the usb connector is actually a serial port with TTL levels: some devices have an usb port that can work as a normal usb port as well as a serial port , hopefully mpourdas's device is one of those.
pippolippi offline

Postby mpourdas » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:54 pm

pippolippi wrote:From the link he posted, which says RTA-3000, I suppose it's a royaltek.

Indeed it is a royaltek, this one: [Please Register or Login to download file]

Unfortunately there was no progress. I got some .dll's from another "popular" igo primo 2 version, but no success. I do not know if I should put the dll in the main or the tmc folder, but I tried both anyway. In the sys.txt file I have no entry related to tmc, in the tmc folder I have left only one .tmc file (infoblu for Italy), the rest of the info I think I have given it (primo2 from here on the wayteq x960bt, 128MB, on wince 6.0). I have activated the two traffic boxes in the settings (not the historical one, sorry I have left it at the car and I do not remember the exact names) and I have activated all the possible traffic events. I do see the little button with the antenna close to the top right of the map (I have latest gurjon, I do not know if it plays any role). But if I click on it, all buttons are fade. Even when I clicc the more button in the middle of the traffic screen which gives the toggle-on/toggle-off possibility. Whether I use the tmc receiver or not, it is still the same. Perhaps I miss something elementary.
mpourdas offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core