How to make TMC work?   

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:39 am

mpourdas wrote:Is it possible to stop the scanning

Yes, and I'll explain that in a moment. But first a little bit about TMC. Scanning for frequencies is normal behavior and in most cases you want that.
The TMC signals are piggy-backed on normal FM radio station broadcasts and being FM, have a rather limited range (a couple hundred miles or so and easily blocked by buildings, mountains, etc---FM (unlike AM which 'bounces') is a straight line signal which does not follow the curvature of the earth). So, just because you get a local station, if you are moving any distance, you are likely to lose that station. But another one on the frequency scale may come into reception range that is also consistent with where you are and the roads you are on. Also, the TMC info is very short and quick. A pause of just a second or two can result in dozens of individual text-based alerts. Whatever may be in the TMC folder has no effect on what frequency is scanned or not, only special decoding information for a particular station that otherwise may have to be paid for. Without the 'license' that frequency (along with all others) would still be scanned, but no information received from it. The default Primo skin has little/no TMC scanning control (since the default and usually sufficient behavior is to scan, pause for info, then move on), but there are actually several WAYS to scan...or even to lock on to only one frequency IF you stay only in one geographic location and know the local TMC station. The best way to have these options is to install and activate the diMka skin for Primo 2. Then when you go to the TMC info/event page you can tap above the scanning info and choose the various options.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby mpourdas » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:29 am

Hi YT, all you say is very clear and reasonable. My issue is that I have not been able to understand why sometimes it will stop at one or two particular frequencies and get something in the range of 50-100 events, and sometimes it will continuously skip them and grab only, say, 5-10 events. These two good stations are at fixed frequency and are valid for all Italy and thus there is no problem to fix it in one of them. (A correlation I noticed, but I am not really sure about it, is that if I go to the save folder and delete the three txt files, then the next time I open it, it makes it work better. In any case, this looks random and is not a viable solution.)

Now, when I installed Primo2 a few months ago, I tried the 3 skins (default, gjak, dimka) and I settled with gjak. So, is there a way to do any trick with the sys.txt instead of switching to dimka (which I will re-try anyway, but I remember gjak was by far the best for my taste).
mpourdas offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby pippolippi » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:08 pm

I have the dimka skin and even when I select fixed frequency it still scans.

Edit: now I see that it's actually using the fixed frequency, I thought it was scanning because, with no tmc signal, from time to time it re-tunes jumping through a couple of frequencies.

@mpourdas, the problem is that FM reception inside the car is very bad, so sometimes it will lock to a signal and sometimes it doesn't.
The best thing to do (but I didn't try it yet) is to splice the cable going to the radio and use that as an antenna for the tmc receiver (if it has a connection for an external antenna). Note that the cable could be feeding 12v to an antenna amplifier, so you should use a condenser to block the dc voltage, otherwise you could fry the tmc receiver.
If your tmc receiver has no external antenna input, it's possible that it is using the usb cable as an antenna, try to lay it over the windshield (but keep in mind that a thermal windshield will block most FM) with a 2cm distance from metal parts.
pippolippi offline

Postby mpourdas » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:59 am

Yurbuh Tuggly wrote:The best way to have these options is to install and activate the diMka skin for Primo 2.

I did and now it looks to me nice skin, I think I was unfair to it earlier in my other post. I just had some difficulty to find some buttons (like to go to the main menu), but I have resolved everything.
mpourdas offline

Postby mpourdas » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:04 am

pippolippi wrote:The best thing to do ...

Thank for the proposal, but I really do not want to proceed to such interventions. Recall I had forgotten to plugin a charger ... Not only I will fry the receiver, most likely I will burn my car.
mpourdas offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:39 am

mpourdas wrote:I did and now it looks to me nice skin

mpourdas wrote:but I have resolved everything.

Good to hear!
I have tried (and continue to try) every available skin, but I always keep going back to diMka, both for the overall look (and ability to customize), and the features that other skins seem to miss. Particularly TMC, POI customizations, and TTS-Pro options.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby mpourdas » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Now that we have managed to make it work for me and ovalball, let me summarize it here so that it will be easier for another current or future member.

A way to have TMC on a WayteQ x960BT, and most likely in other similar WayteQ devices, running Primo2 on WinCE, is to take the following steps (I know that some will look trivial for an experienced user):

1. Get the WayteQ RTA-3000 TMC receiver (practically a Royaltek RTA-3000)

2. Connect the TMC receiver both to the WayteQ device and to the charging source

3. In the main menu of WayteQ click on the USB, select MS activesync and save.

4. In the sys.txt file of Primo2 insert the entries
[tmc]
saved_config_available="1" ;
saved_config_classname="NMEA_GPSTMC_ROYALTEK"
saved_config_portname="COM"
saved_config_port="4"

5. In the settings of Primo2, go to traffic and check the box traffic receiver (but not online traffic if there is no internet connection). Decide for the remaining options, like events and detour, according to your taste and/or needs.

6. For more options in scanning and selecting stations install the diMkaWA_P153 skin (the default seems to run more smoothly for me).

No dll's seem to be needed.
mpourdas offline

Postby Black Wolf » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:30 pm

You aren't rught, using tmc functions requests .dll files like gpstmc.dll avanteq etc. .dlls related to tmc, that Primo can process tmc functions on right way.
I'm all what I'm not!

NO PM SUPPORT, All your questions, write to the FORUM!

USE BUTTON THANKS INSTEAD WRITING THANKS!!!
Black Wolf offline

User avatar Banned Users

Postby mpourdas » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:59 pm

Black Wolf wrote:You aren't rught, using tmc functions requests .dll files like gpstmc.dll avanteq etc. .dlls related to tmc, that Primo can process tmc functions on right way.

With Primo 9.6.5, tmc is working fine for me without any dlls. I do not know if I miss any feature. Could you be more precise on what kind of functionality I may be missing?
mpourdas offline

Postby mikec73 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:27 am

I have a magellan 5045 with igo primo as well. Magellan has tmc but I cant seem to get it to work on the igo side. I found the Magtmcdrv.dll and renamed to gpstmc but still cannot get any thing other than historical showing in the tmc tab. I thought I may have some luck with igo8 since it will actively scan showing the protocols and ports but It says no tmc hardware. primo is 9.6.5
thanks
mikec73 offline

Postby Black Wolf » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:27 pm

mpourdas wrote:With Primo 9.6.5, tmc is working fine for me without any dlls. I do not know if I miss any feature. Could you be more precise on what kind of functionality I may be missing?

That files requests Primo.exe, if you do reverse engineering of Primo.exe , you'll see why i wrote, that using .dlls files is required, specially tmcgps.dll and gpstmc.dll, you'll need to learn some of programing languages to understand why they are important ;) ... Just do what i wrote, or if you think you know that things better, then don't use it ;) ... Things like faster processing tmc messages, fast detecting tmc signal, etc etc.
I'm all what I'm not!

NO PM SUPPORT, All your questions, write to the FORUM!

USE BUTTON THANKS INSTEAD WRITING THANKS!!!
Black Wolf offline

User avatar Banned Users

Postby mpourdas » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:47 pm

Black Wolf wrote:That files requests Primo.exe, if you do reverse engineering of Primo.exe , you'll see why i wrote, that using .dlls files is required, specially tmcgps.dll and gpstmc.dll, you'll need to learn some of programing languages to understand why they are important ... Just do what i wrote, or if you think you know that things better, then don't use it ... Things like faster processing tmc messages, fast detecting tmc signal, etc etc.

I do not know better and I do not know how to, nor I am interested in, reverse engineering. If I knew that stuff I would not have started this thread by asking elementary things. At the end of the day I just thought it would be useful for somebody who has the same device with me to find a direct way to solve his problem. This is also what moderators encourage to my understanding.

From Yurbuh's suggestions, I thought that tmc is either working or not, and there is no intermediate situation. Perhaps I did not get it right. But still I do not quite understand what you propose: should I try to throw these two dll's in my folder and see if I have, for example, better detection? OK, I will do this, if this is what you mean.
mpourdas offline

Re: How to make TMC work?

Postby Truckereuorg » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:57 pm

I ask you to answer . If you have preserved bt2com.exe utility ?
Can not find the on the internet , someone deleted resource to download . :lol:
Truckereuorg offline

Previous

Return to General Discussions about iGO core