Discovered this today [accidentally]   

Discovered this today [accidentally]

Postby chas521 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:19 pm

My primary nav program is iGO8 but the following should also apply to Amigo and the Primos.

I'm always trying to tweak my iGO8 program by trying new entries or editing in the sys.txt. Also by trying a different skin or fooling around with the speedcam option. However, even though I might have deleted those things for one reason or another, they seem to remain slightly in the save folder. Little by little, they build up and start to slow down your device. Or an option that you chose might not work. Think of a computer. When you install a program, a part of it goes into the registry. So even though you might uninstall the program later on, those registry pieces still remain. After awhile, your computer starts to slow down because of all those orphan files it has to read. Plus it could cause an error message especially regarding memory.

Today I was messing around with my iGO8 and I was trying some things that didn't turn out well so I wound up deleting them. I was concerned that they might affect the operation somehow so I deleted my save folder just in case. I re-started my device and the iGO8 program and had to re-do all the settings and options. I took it on the street to make sure it was OK and all of a sudden I started getting options that I never had before. For example, my device [program] now says [audio] that I'm approaching a red light camera. Prior to my deleting the save folder, all I got was a sound when approaching the red light camera. Plus the nav was faster in giving commands. Just know that I was thrilled. :dance:

So, based on my experience today, I would suggest that you delete the save folder from time to time. It's just the same advice that you might get to do a clean install of your operating system on your computer. :D
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby doodle1 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:37 pm

Like a computer I defrag my sat nav internal memory when I add maps etc and that always speeds things up. First time I defragged it it made such a difference. On my computer I also defrag the registry but I have been unable to find a registry defragger for wince devices
doodle1 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:41 pm

Sktools for windows mobile has a registry optimizer, I never tried it on wince.

Look in the usual places to find the "free" version.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby camaro69 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:22 am

I only get a beep when approaching red light cams...No audio.
camaro69 offline

User avatar Member

Postby chas521 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:42 am

camaro69 wrote:I only get a beep when approaching red light cams...No audio.

Do what I did concerning the save folder although your save folder should on the newer side anyway. Look in the settings for red light cameras. Next to the box to put a check mark is an option to open the settings for the red light camera. I remember clicking on the audio and selecting the male voice. Remember you can only see the red light option[s] when you have a real satellite lock.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:14 am

doodle1 wrote:unable to find a registry defragger for wince devices

On many (if not 'most') Sat Nav devices, defragging or 'optimizing' the Windows Registry may be a waste of time since the Registry is not persistent--it is wiped and recreated from the Rom on every cold boot (along with the entire working Windows folder). Under normal circumstances few if any changes or additions are made to the Registry on a PNA device during operation (maybe the time zone, etc, but not much else) and again, it is wiped on a cold restart anyway. Many of the optimization tools (including SKTools) were more intended for PDA devices where a registry and file system COULD accumulate garbage along the way and the registry WAS persistent even after booting. Running such utilities on a PNA/Sat Nav will likely do no good and may do some harm....until the next cold boot.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:37 am

chas521 wrote:I would suggest that you delete the save folder from time to time

Good advice, indeed..especially after diddling with sys.txt, adding modules, skins, etc.
However, for those worried about losing saved Favorites, Routes, Vehicle profiles, Roadblocks, and anything else that takes a bit of time to recreate manually, deleting ONLY the system.ini from the Save folder (Save\Profiles\{number}\ in Primo2) will accomplish about the same thing, but all the other stuff is retained for use.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:49 pm

Yurbuh Tuggly wrote:Good advice, indeed..especially after diddling with sys.txt, adding modules, skins, etc.
However, for those worried about losing saved Favorites, Routes, Vehicle profiles, Roadblocks, and anything else that takes a bit of time to recreate manually, deleting ONLY the system.ini from the Save folder (Save\Profiles\{number}\ in Primo2) will accomplish about the same thing, but all the other stuff is retained for use.

Very true what you say. However, I have to wonder if those elements are also somehow contributing to "garbaging" the save folder? I deleted the entire save folder and it worked for me. Yes, it was a pain to have to re-save all the options but I have to wonder.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby doodle1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm definately not technically minded on the ins and outs of sat navs but I have deleted the save folder and yes, I have to say the programme does seem slightly faster
doodle1 offline

Postby bazzle » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:26 am

Come on Chas... time to post a link to your "working" igo8.3.5 with Camera voices.
Local content (maps, cams) not required :)

Bazzle
bazzle offline

User avatar Senior Member

Postby chas521 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:49 am

bazzle wrote:Come on Chas... time to post a link to your "working" igo8.3.5 with Camera voices.
Local content (maps, cams) not required :)

Bazzle

I did a long time ago. http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?6880-Igo8-March-5-2011 I just tweaked some options after deleting the save folder. Look at #5.

Rapidshare and depostfiles still good.

EDIT: BTW, I do not use dem files, building files. I am using Kikker 3.2 skin. I am using maps of the entire NA except Mexico plus POIS of the Atlantic coast.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core