DCMA complaint   

DCMA complaint

Postby franka » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:58 am

I have just received a DCMA complaint, from dropbox, for posting and sharing a copy of my SYS,txt fle. The complaint was issued by NNG and all my sharing rights are suspended until this file is removed.

Can anybody explain the reason for this complaint as this file has essentially been compiled by me.

It seems that posting on dropbox can be hazardous.

I have posted copies of Primo programs before without problems, very strange.
franka offline

Re: DCMA complaint

Postby jtrosky » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:10 am

NNG is out of control - I recently had my dropbox account suspended for sharing a third-party Primo skin - just a skin - not the application or maps or voices - but a skin!

I've filed an appeal with dropbox, but I never heard anything back. It's ridiculous.
jtrosky offline

Postby Downunder35m » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:02 pm

Igo related files are for a hoster what Ice is to the cops on the streets.
Upload something with Igo, Primo or NGG in the filename and all major hosters will kill the file and often the account within less than 48 hours.
Worst part is that in most cases the entire account will be suspended.
A simple textfile with device specific setting is nothing the company would be concerned about, so you got flagged for the filename.
I doubt you will have any luck as the official way means YOU need to prove the file does not violate the terms and conditions - the company does not need to prove the file copyrighted they only need to to put in a claim.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby jtrosky » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:30 pm

In my case, it was NNG Budapest that filed the complaint and the filename was "Kikker3.6_Rosen.zip". And ALL sharing for my Dropbox account was disabled for that single, bunk complaint!

It's ridiculous - they shouldn't be disabling peoples accounts just because someone accuses you of a copyright violation! So if so-and-so pisses me off, I can file a DMCA complaint with Dropbox and get his account suspended - even if there is no merit to the complaint? Geez... Sure would be nice if there were SOME requirement that the person complaining at least has to identify which file is a copyright violation!

What also drives me insane is that they (NNG) are complaining about a skin for a dead product that isn't even sold anymore (iGo8)! For that matter, I couldn't buy iGo 8 OR Primo if I wanted to! :-)
jtrosky offline

Postby Downunder35m » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:51 pm

You need to be big enough, with enough money and enough lawyers around the world - then you take almost everything down...
That is what NGG is doing.
"Take it down or we take you to court and make you pay" - so the hoster takes it down and complies to everything they say :(
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby franka » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:44 am

Now Dropbox have screwed up my account i am looking for another hosting site to upload files.

Am looking at Zippyshare, but this has a maximum upload size of 200Mb.

Do you think that this is a good choice, and how do i upload files that exceed 200Mb.
franka offline

Postby jtrosky » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:57 am

Check out "hochladen.to" - not only is downloading from the site nice, fast and easy for downloaders (no searching for the correct "Download" button, etc!), but you don't even need to create an account at all to share files - you can share files "anonymously"! If you do create an account, you can obviously store your files on their site, which is nice, but it's also really nice being able to share files without at account as well.

I found out about this site from @chas521.
jtrosky offline

Postby franka » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:59 am

I guess the answer is to rename the folder/file with a different name.

I have just seen an Igo8 program posted with the folder named as "kitchen..........".

A file thus name would surely not be regarded as suspicious, unless it was downloaded and opened.
franka offline

Postby hairydog » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:49 am

There was a time when I would go out of my way to get a legal licence for igo, even if not the exact version I was using. But the company's attitude has put an end to that. They make it almost impossible to buy their software, then object when people use other approaches. It stinks.
hairydog offline

Postby jtrosky » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:52 am

^^Couldn't agree more! I wouldn't mind actually paying for the software either. But you can't buy something that's not for sale! I don't understand it. ESPECIALLY fhe Android version - why not just put it in the Play store so anyone/everyone could purchase it? I just don't understand it...
jtrosky offline

Postby franka » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:16 am

jtrosky wrote:Check out "hochladen.to" - not only is downloading from the site nice, fast and easy for downloaders (no searching for the correct "Download" button, etc!), but you don't even need to create an account at all to share files - you can share files "anonymously"! If you do create an account, you can obviously store your files on their site, which is nice, but it's also really nice being able to share files without at account as well.

I found out about this site from @chas521.

Thanks to Jtrosky and chas521 for the introduction to the above hosting site. I am now using it and find it very easy to use.

The only problem i have is it is not replying by E-Mail with the links for downloading, even though i requested them. Is this a common problem?
franka offline

Postby livanpinar » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:37 am

I am rowing f**** sick of Dropbox. Today I uploaded some files and sent the link to my brother and cousin. Soon I tested the links and they weren't working. Checked the reason and they said it could have reached the 20 GB limit for a day... and had generated too much traffic, what a lame excuse! I also got the suspension before for sharing text files, but they only had traffic info so I guess they read the contents, since the name had no igo in it, and content looked like this:
EVENT htmc=68192897 loc=4234 extent=1 dir=1 bidi=0 age=18 cc=1 ltn=4 new=1 tmc_source=0 sid=0 event_1=125 qtype_1=4 qvalue_1=55 qexp_1=0 loaded=1

files had .txt and .sav extensions and probably nobody but the person interested would need them...
livanpinar offline

Postby jtrosky » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:13 am

My suspended account just says that too much traffic is being generated as well - but it's really because Dropbox suspended the account because I shared an iGo skin. Ridiculous. But I'm pissed more at iGo than Dropbox. iGo is the one threatening Dropbox - without reason.

Just makes me go out of my way even more to share their software (that they don't even offer for sale)! :-)
jtrosky offline

Postby franka » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:26 pm

I deleted my dropbox account from my computer 3 days ago.

Today i received an E-Mail, dated yesterday from them, listing two further files from them that they require deleting.

This is now beginning to worry me. As ivanpinar says in post #12 it appears that they are reading the content of files, even though the name is not suggestive of a "dodgy" file. This stinks of an underhand and invasive practice that we have no control over. It appears that content the we put into storage for safety is no longer safe.
franka offline

Return to General Discussions about iGO core