Want to update old Zumo 550   

Want to update old Zumo 550

Postby Alloneword » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:59 pm

I have an older Zumo 550 that needs it's map updating.
When i got the unit maps were from about 2009, so done some reading and downloading and move across from pc to the 550 using simple windows explorer (no Garmin software on pc yet) and replaced old "gmapprom.img" with new version of "gmapprom.img" which is 360mb compared to older which is 1.24GB, so i presume i have updated map files from old europe to new "Garmin City Navigator Europe NT 2018.10 UK & Ireland" is that is, is it really that simple?
I see so much talk about NT option, locked, unlocked, using folders instead of a .img file.

I did try to copy of new version of "city navigator europe nt 2018.10" for western europe but was told not enough memory so i presume this is where the sd card comes in, unit did come with a 16GB card but i can't access it via windows so i was going to use some boot discs to see if i can see what is on it but unsure what to format it as i presume FAT32.

Yes i am that new to this kind of thing so ANY help would be more then welcome.

All1
Alloneword offline

Re: Want to update old Zumo 550

Postby kolokythas » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:33 am

Hi! First of all you may see what is on the SD card directly on your computer it is faster especially if you will decide to copy a big img.
Second the best way for you is to install on your PC the latest version of NT map and then with Mapinstall to select partial the regions that you need.
kolokythas offline

Postby Alloneword » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:36 am

Thanks for the reply kolokythas this is my first problem i cannot read from the SD card, i thought it might have been a windows issue so loaded Linux mint onto my laptop and still nothing, i'm begging to wonder if the card is broken but this has been read via an external card reder (one of those 16 in one jobs) but my Benq 32" monitor has some slots at the back so i'll have a play around with those over the weekend and see what gives, having said that just threw it back in the sat nav and it does show music files with no issues so guessing it may be in some weird file format.

All1
Alloneword offline

Postby FireFox58 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi dear,
as I know the Zumo 550 comes with an SD Card slot (not a micro SD), is it right?
You may have several methodes to read such a Card, also a Printer for example.
Anyway, you can find the Map of UK & Ireland here: new-maps-f88/city-navigator-europe-2018-t19857-15.html#p162834
The Map is properly Unlocked, I guarantee for this.
The SD Card should be formatted in FAT32, than you create the folder Garmin and put the Map inside.
That's All, no other operation is required.
FireFox58 offline

User avatar Member

Postby Alloneword » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks very much FireFox58 and archer8354 (who i have chatted with via PM) I have been able to sort it :023:
My issue in the first place was i was putting the file in the root of the SD card with NO folder then read some more threads and saw them mention GARMIN folder however like some idiot i made a folder called "MAPLIN" (this is a uk retail outlest) so off course it failed, however having corrected those stupid mistakes and i'm now sorted so thanks to the board and FireFox58 and archer8354 I owe you one.

All1
Alloneword offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin