Topo Germany v4 not shown in Basecamp when installed on an O   

Topo Germany v4 not shown in Basecamp when installed on an O

Postby hatraman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:17 am

Hello everyone,

when I start up Basecamp v3 and connect my Oregon to the PC, Basecamp shows me all installed Maps within Basecamp. This way I don´t have to install them also on my PC.
This works fine with the Topo Germany v3, Topo Swiss v2, Topo Austria v2 and the City Navigator Europe.

But it doesn´t with the Topo Germany v4. I tried the MapSource / Basecamp Version (and created a IMG from it) of the Topo v4 and also the pure IMG Version. Both have the same issue when they are installed only on the GPS device. Is this working for somebody?

I also have some OSM Maps which show in Basecamp and others don´t. I didn´t care about that, because these are no Garmin Maps and I thought that they are just not supported to be displayed in Basecamp right from a connected Oregon.

I´d really like to see the Topo v4 in Basecamp too without installing it on my internal HDD like it workes with other Topo / CN Maps too. Does somebody have any Idea how to get that working?

Thanks a lot!
hatraman offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:40 pm

I think this works with new garmin-maps only, if hou have the correct gma-certificate-file.
I'm afraid, you must buy the map to get the gma-file and use it from device in basecamp.
The actual CN 2011.x are also not shown in basecamp, even if you have installed it on pc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby hatraman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:13 pm

It makes sense that newer Maps don´t work if they have changed something in the Copy protection. The CN I have which works is a 2010 one, so a old one.

What puzzles me is that I had a OSM map which was shown in Basecamp, but other OSM maps have not. I´ll try to find that map again. Maybe it can be seen with GMapTool what the OSM Map (which is shown) has what the others don´t.
hatraman offline

Postby hatraman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:00 pm

OK, I played with my Maps a bit and did some research in the Garmin Forums.
The case why some of my OSM Maps are not displayed in BC while only installed on the GPS device is, that BC has problems recognizing Maps sometimes if they don´t have a specific Filename.

If you rename your map to gmapsupp.img it´s very likely that BC will recognize and index it.

This, however, did not work for the Topo Germany 2010. But then I also realized that not all my OSM maps show up in Basecamp. So I digged a bit deeper.

First I downloaded the Open MTB Alps Map and did a BC install. From within BC I exported the Map to my GPS. Works like a charm. After that I unregistered the Map on my PC, so BC did not recognize it anymore. I plugged in my GPS Device and... BC did not recognize the OpenMTB map on my GPS.

Send attempt:
I created the same OpenMTB Alps map with the gmt.exe Tool. This just creates a gmapsupp.img File. I put that on my GPS and BC was able to show that map also! But as soon as I rename the map from gmapsupp.img to another (gmapsupp1.img works btw!) BC did not recognize the map.

Conclusion: It makes a difference HOW you create that Map and sometimes it´s important also that the Map has a gmapsupp*.img name.

So after that I worked on the Topo Germany. Since just renaming the Topo Germany 2010 to gmapsupp.img did not help I used gmt.exe to split up the Topo Germany IMG File and then joined it again, put it on my device and: BC now shows the Map when I plug in my GPS device!
hatraman offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin