SOLVED! Traffic notifications not popping up   

SOLVED! Traffic notifications not popping up

Postby Harold2689 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:29 pm

I am having a problem of traffic reports not popping up on the map screen either when just driving around, or if there is a traffic condition on a route. I am using a Nuvi 850 (Firmware version 4.7 with NuLife lifetime update at CN North America NT 2011.10, in the Nuvi's internal memory) with a GTM-20 traffic receiver (software version 5.5). There are two working lifetime subscriptions active on the GTM-20; TTN & Navteq, both for US. The traffic receiver goes green, indicating good traffic data being received, but I have never had a single alert pop up on the navigation map screen. Last week, we used the Nuvi to route us to a destination, and it included a major highway which had road construction. We eventually arrived at the orange cones which herded everyone into one lane. No alert about the construction ever poped up, but when I manually went to menu->settings->traffic, and then selected, "view by road," it said there was road construction .7 miles ahead. Thanks for the heads up! It then offered to avoid the delay. :doh:

It is my understanding that if you are not navigating to a destination, and just driving around, traffic alerts are supposed to pop up if they are ahead on the road on which you are driving. If you are navigating, and something either developes or was there at the time the route was calculated, the Nuvi is supposed to warn you, and offer to avoid it for you.

I have also turned on the avoid traffic option in the navigation setup, and still no notifications unless I manually go to menu->settings->traffic, to pull them up manually.

I also have info from another forum which addressed this problem, and the solution there had to do with renaming the mapset. When I first went to map setup, and asked for map info, it displayed "CN North America NT 2011.10" Nothing else. I opened gmapprom.img in the garmin folder of the Nuvi with gmaptool, and renamed the mapset to "CN North America NT 2011.10 All" and wrote that back. Now when I go to map info, it displays "CN North America NT 2011.10" and directly underneath that it also displays, "[1] All" I have tried all upper case ALL and lower case "All" and neither spelling enables the popup alerts.

I believe that I have supplied all pertinent info to my problem. With everything I have already tried, does anyone else have any other suggestions that I may not have tried? If you have solved this problem, what did you do that I haven't already done?

Thanks in advance,

Harold

Edit: June 27, 2010 - Apparently what I have done IS working! I recently traveled to a larger city that was covered with traffic alerts, and they DID automatically pop up, whether or not I was navigating. Thanks to all who responded, and I hope this thread may help someone in the future.

Harold
Harold2689 offline

Postby Black Wolf » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:40 am

Harold2689 wrote:, and the solution there had to do with renaming the mapset

Hello, probably they thought on renaming mapset like GMAPSUPP, GMAPSUPP, GMAPPROM, did you make this renaming , or? How many img file do you have on your device? If .img file is located on your SD CARD, rename it to GMAPSUPP.IMG , if it located on internal memory (built-in memory - flash memory) then rename it to GMAPPROM.IMG.

Greetzz
I'm all what I'm not!

NO PM SUPPORT, All your questions, write to the FORUM!

USE BUTTON THANKS INSTEAD WRITING THANKS!!!
Black Wolf offline

User avatar Banned Users

Postby Harold2689 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Hi Sucro,

Thanks for the reply.

The renaming mentioned in the other forum was not of the .img file, but the name of the mapset. In the other thread, the origional maps that came with the Nuvi were still in the internal memory, as GMAPPROM.img, and he loaded updated maps on an SD card, with the name of GMAPSUPP.img. No problem there, as the Nuvi recognized both sets of maps, and the new maps on the SD card functioned perfectly. His only problem was that the traffic reports would not pop up automatically. He had to pull them up manually. He noticed that the mapset name of the old maps in his internal memory was exactly the same name of the maps, followed by the word, " All." He made it a specific point that there had to be a space character before the "A." He resent his entire map set to his SD card again, using Mapsource, but this time he NAMED the mapset, "CN North America NT 2010.30 ALL" (it was an older post in that forum) and his traffic reports started popping up by themselves.

In my case, the maps were loaded into my Nuvi's internal memory by the Garmin website, via a nuMap Lifetime update. The file is named "GMAPPROM.img" but the mapset was named "CN North America NT 2011.10." I opened the GMAPPROM.img file with gmaptool, and changed the name of the mapset to "CN North America NT 2011.10 All." Now, when I go to "Map Info" in system setup, it shows the maps as "CN North America, NT 2011.10," and right under that, it now also displays, "[1] All." It did NOT display the "[1] All" before I renamed the mapset. Everything worked perfectly before and after the mapset rename, but I still don't get traffic reports popping up by themselves, even with a green light on the traffic receiver, and being within .7 miles of the road construction. The report WAS there, however, when I pulled it up manually.

I'm still scratching my head, and hope someone can suggest something that I haven't already tried...

Thanks again,

Harold
Harold2689 offline

Postby Black Wolf » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:18 pm

Ok, np, i didn't have expirience really with that kind of garmin devices, and that service like your GTM-20, i don't use it, maybe the best solution will be to contact directly garmin support, if you pay for something them, then you have rights to have support for that service , which you pay!
I'm all what I'm not!

NO PM SUPPORT, All your questions, write to the FORUM!

USE BUTTON THANKS INSTEAD WRITING THANKS!!!
Black Wolf offline

User avatar Banned Users

Return to General Discussions about Garmin