Nuvi 660 need update   

Nuvi 660 need update

Postby buercky » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:45 am

I have aquired a nuvi 660 that has 2gb internal with a old map Northamerica NT V8 Sotware version 2.7 like from 2006. would like to get it updated. Dont have the garmin lifetime update. is there some program and map that i could load to bring it up to 2016 without getting the garmin update like the TOMTOM has..
buercky offline

Re: Nuvi 660 need update

Postby kolokythas » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:38 am

buercky wrote:I have aquired a nuvi 660 that has 2gb internal with a old map Northamerica NT V8 Sotware version 2.7 like from 2006. would like to get it updated. Dont have the garmin lifetime update. is there some program and map that i could load to bring it up to 2016 without getting the garmin update like the TOMTOM has..

Hi! And Happy the new Year! first of all i propose you to upgrade your firmware to 4.9 the last one!
Second with the Garmin Express you can download new maps from Garmin.
In your case like mine too you need to have also an SD memory card So you may split the new map of North America (I can do it for you) and put one in the memory and the other one in SD card in order to overpass the problem of 2GB file that nuvi660 can recognize.
So tell me if you need the maps!
kolokythas offline

Postby buercky » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:32 pm

Yes I need the maps, Do you have links of them you can FTP or SFTP to 99.191.25.154. login garmin/garmin
I loaded the Garman EXPRESS program and have updated the NUVI to 4.90 , BT=3.4 now GPS=3.0 So looks like i will need the MAP files . I didn't do a map North America update from Express for it look to not fit like you stated .
I have a 8GB SD not SDHC loaded can I use?
buercky offline

Postby kolokythas » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:08 am

buercky wrote:Yes I need the maps, Do you have links of them you can FTP or SFTP to 99.191.25.154. login garmin/garmin
I loaded the Garman EXPRESS program and have updated the NUVI to 4.90 , BT=3.4 now GPS=3.0 So looks like i will need the MAP files . I didn't do a map North America update from Express for it look to not fit like you stated .
I have a 8GB SD not SDHC loaded can I use?

Hi! Sorry for the delay! I will send by ftp the files ! I am not sure if it can recognize 8GB SD i am using 4GB without problem (FAT32) ! The Garmin Express dont propose you an update because the file exceed the 2GB and Garmin in fact does not support anymore nuvi660 officially.
The files that i send you put the gmapprom.img on the device memory and the gmapsupp.img on the SD !
kolokythas offline

Postby buercky » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:42 am

Ok thank you, I was looking in the settings to see if it would show me the status of the SD haven't seen a place. but will put the files per your request. if it doesn't ill get a 4gb

So in the future is it just a matter of downloading a LOCKED or UNLOCKED map from the MAPS section and replacing each file gmapprom.img on the device memory and the gmapsupp.img on the SD ? or are there other tasks needed that you have already performed.?

I found this is this the process?

If you go the SD route it's very simple. You need only 2 files in the proper locations/folders and your done. A card set up like this will work.

sd:\garmin\gmapsupp.img <--- gmapsupp.img is an UNLOCKED IMG file (your complete map)
sd:\garmin\JCV\DxxxxxA.JCV <---- the junction view photo file. The name matters as it is specific to the map you are trying to use.

You can also set the card up this way
sd:\Map\gmapsupp.img <--- gmapsupp.img is an UNLOCKED IMG file (Map folder name is case sensitive)
sd:\garmin\JCV\DxxxxxA.JCV <---- the junction view photo file. The name matters as it is specific to the map you are trying to use.
buercky offline

Postby kolokythas » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:47 am

Hi! Unfortunately the ftp is too slow still trying... i will try to give you also another link to download the files try this one
[Please Register or Login to download file]
[Please Register or Login to download file]

Yes in fact the files should be unlocked like those that i am sending you and you just copy them on the directory \Garmin
Our nuvi660 does not support junction files so you don't need them.
kolokythas offline

Postby buercky » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:29 pm

yes the FTP program stalled due to a different program locking up sorry for that. I looks like they completed but will get from your new links to be sure. your please read text file didn't make it though
buercky offline

Postby buercky » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:36 pm

I did a backup of my NUVI then I have loaded the 2 files and was wondering Is this for all of the USA for the name of the 2 maps just has some states named not all?

also
do I not need the ASR folder and JCV folders?
buercky offline

Postby kolokythas » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:49 pm

buercky wrote:I did a backup of my NUVI then I have loaded the 2 files and was wondering Is this for all of the USA for the name of the 2 maps just has some states named not all?

also
do I not need the ASR folder and JCV folders?

First of all not you don't need asr or jcv folders nuvi660 don't support them!
Second you do have all USA & Canada and
third you only may say a simple thank you!
Enjoy it!
kolokythas offline

Postby buercky » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:30 pm

I greatly appreciate you doing the upload and even after it failing you offered a different location. Very much appreciated!!! :023:

thanks again!
Last edited by buercky on Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
buercky offline

Postby buercky » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:19 am

There seems to be a issue with the latest map :022: ... Each is loaded where you asked very few streets show up on the map. seems to be only 2 lane roads. nothing shows up for streets in any thing near HOME sub divisions where ever I go there seems to be streets missing. When I go reload the original maps the streets return..

Any thoughts?

Note, If I only select the map on the SD I lose the streets.

Im very new to this but might I also need the gmap3d.img file also (the nuvi was set to 3D mode during testing)
buercky offline

Postby kolokythas » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:23 am

You go to the system screen choose map and put map detail to the most and map view to 3d
kolokythas offline

Postby buercky » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:02 am

kolokythas wrote:You go to the system screen choose map and put map detail to the most and map view to 3d

yes it is in MOST and set to 3D but the streets don't appear I took screenshots [Please Register or Login to download file] #142 #154 don't show the streets and im in a housing subdivision with many streets that are missing

any suggestion how to fix?
buercky offline

Postby kolokythas » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:14 am

buercky wrote:
kolokythas wrote:You go to the system screen choose map and put map detail to the most and map view to 3d

yes it is in MOST and set to 3D but the streets don't appear I took screenshots [Please Register or Login to download file] #142 #154 don't show the streets and im in a housing subdivision with many streets that are missing

any suggestion how to fix?

My friend it looks everything is ok with your device just Garmin map does not have detailed map for your area! If you want to see in more details download Basecamp and copy the two files in a USB together with the GarminDevice.xml in a Garmin directory so you will have yhe chance to see anything in the map more easy or just connect your device with the USB cable to the Basecamp.
According to me everything is ok if you want you may try to find a Topo map with more details !
kolokythas offline

Postby buercky » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:27 pm

Ok so I installed basecamp latest 4.5 . connect Nuvi to pc and it brount up the map.. I went to the locations where the streets should be and they are there on the pc as well as EVERY other street that doesn't show on the Nuvi ... So if they show up in basecamp are we saying they should show on the NUVI... ? for they are not. :022:

when in basecamp I see that the map is 2016.2 not 2016.20..due to licensing. and says there are restrictions (reduced map window for printing) is this of concern. maybe need different map?

Also in another test , If I rename the IMG file on the NUVI and boot it, it shows the same no streets. PLUS if viewed in base camp the NUVI changes the name of the map= Americas Autoroute Weather Basemap. if I look at the map and streets it SHOWS EXACTLY the missing streets just like the NUVI missing streets

So this means that the map that is stored on the NUVI matches Americas Autoroute Weather Basemap type of a map any thoughts on what else, maybe im wrong , maybe we need to put a different map ?

Also
I loaded map source, then TRANSFER retrieved maps from NUVI it didn't import any maps, I then TRANSFER retrieved maps from the SD card and it brought in 100 maps. if this is right should the map retrieved from the NUVI suppose to have maps its 1.6gb is size?
buercky offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about Garmin