New Restriction for D/L Maps from Garmin Website   

New Restriction for D/L Maps from Garmin Website

Postby timp4411 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm

I just read this on another forum and wonder if it only applies to the nuvi 8xx series or ALL units? It may be another layer of copy protection by Garmin to keep anyone from copying/hacking the maps.

Let us know if you run into this or have any comments.

QUOTE:"
As someone else reported, Garmin has an entirely new installation process for this map. You start by downloading a 3MB updater, then run that. No more Download Manager as in the past.

As the Updater starts, you're offered standard or advanced installation. I chose advanced and see that the default update setting for my nuvi 855 is to: 1) install all of North America and 2) to install to my GPS only. So I imagine that if you don't go with the Advanced option, your GPS will be updated but your computer and Mapsource will NOT. If true, and if you want the new map on your computer, go for Advanced and change the default to "install to GPS and computer."

Interesting. By choosing to install to my GPS and computer, I'm warned that the download will take longer.

Since my download process has just started, I may be wrong in this--but it appears that we no longer will have the executable 2GB file downloaded which can be saved on hard disk or to DVD-R for a future installation. If true, and if you have multiple Garmins under lifetime maps, it definitely appears that a download will be required for each unit--none of this "download once, then use the 2GB file to update all lifetimed nuvis you own." Updating multiple units will take longer from now on.

One nice thing about this new updater is that if you have maps to be used by Mapsource in a custom location (think d:\garmin, for instance), the updater will correctly find your old maps and offer to install this new map to the same location.":UNQUOTE
timp4411 offline

V.I.P Member

Return to General Discussions about Garmin