Looking for some help with a VW Up Garmin   

Looking for some help with a VW Up Garmin

Postby CapraTheBest » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:38 am

Hello. Recently I joined this forum to update a Tom Tom Go 710 to the lastest maps and software version. I've followed a guide in a thread and everything went fine.
Now I'm asking for help to update the maps inside my Garmin (the one that comes with the VW Up) and maybe even add support for speedcams (italy is full of them).
Thanks and have a nice day :039:

PS: The Garmin model is the following: http://webspecial.volkswagen.de/infotainment/it/it/radionav-start/maps-more.html#tab1
CapraTheBest offline

Re: Looking for some help with a VW Up Garmin

Postby kolokythas » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:15 pm

CapraTheBest wrote:Hello. Recently I joined this forum to update a Tom Tom Go 710 to the lastest maps and software version. I've followed a guide in a thread and everything went fine.
Now I'm asking for help to update the maps inside my Garmin (the one that comes with the VW Up) and maybe even add support for speedcams (italy is full of them).

PS: The Garmin model is the following: [Please Register or Login to download file]

I am not sure which exactly Garmin device is this one! Does it has USB connection ?
Does it takes SD cards?
I am sure that should have both of them sor you have to download the latest Europe maps (.img) unlocked and just to copy them on the SD \Garmin directory. or in the device memory.
As much it concerns cameras download the cyclon files here from the site and with the POILoader you may add them on your device as point of interests.
kolokythas offline

Postby catymag » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:08 pm

:bs_quesexclaim: :017:
@CapraTheBest
to update maps use
Code: Select all
https://volkswagen.garmin.com/volkswagen/site/fresh

Probably you have free updates.
1)Not sure Cyclops (not Cyclon) are supported by your device, you can check with the soft from the above linked page.
On-the-spot alerts: Mobile Speed Traps Live* displays both stationary and mobile speed cameras - and in real time. You can also tell other Live Services users about cameras en route - with a simple click on your sat nav.
*Available in the following countries: A, B, D, E, GB, GR, I, IRL, NL, S

2) Cyclops are .gpi and dont need Poiloader, just copy in POI folder in Garmin devices, but must be unlocked.
catymag offline

Banned Users

Postby CapraTheBest » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:53 pm

catymag wrote::bs_quesexclaim: :017:
@CapraTheBest
to update maps use
Code: Select all
https://volkswagen.garmin.com/volkswagen/site/fresh

Probably you have free updates.
1)Not sure Cyclops (not Cyclon) are supported by your device, you can check with the soft from the above linked page.
On-the-spot alerts: Mobile Speed Traps Live* displays both stationary and mobile speed cameras - and in real time. You can also tell other Live Services users about cameras en route - with a simple click on your sat nav.
*Available in the following countries: A, B, D, E, GB, GR, I, IRL, NL, S

2) Cyclops are .gpi and dont need Poiloader, just copy in POI folder in Garmin devices, but must be unlocked.

You actually need to pay to update the maps, and their maps aren't really cheap (100€ for the whole europe, when I only need the italian portion)
Also I've found the speedcam option, but it requires a phone connected to the car that has internet connection, still haven't managed to get it working :thumbdown:
CapraTheBest offline

Postby CapraTheBest » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:55 pm

kolokythas wrote:
CapraTheBest wrote:Hello. Recently I joined this forum to update a Tom Tom Go 710 to the lastest maps and software version. I've followed a guide in a thread and everything went fine.

PS: The Garmin model is the following: http://webspecial.volkswagen.de/infotainment/it/it/radionav-start/maps-more.html#tab1

I am not sure which exactly Garmin device is this one! Does it has USB connection ?
Does it takes SD cards?
I am sure that should have both of them sor you have to download the latest Europe maps (.img) unlocked and just to copy them on the SD \Garmin directory. or in the device memory.
As much it concerns cameras download the cyclon files here from the site and with the POILoader you may add them on your device as point of interests.

It has both usb connection and a sd card slot (the usb connection is used to connect the garmin to the pc to update it and navigate through the flash, and the sd card slot is used to store media files, like mp3s and pictures)
CapraTheBest offline

Postby CapraTheBest » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:36 am

I finally managed to get the speedcams working (had a problem when connecting the phone /w bluetooth internet sharing to the Garmin) and now I'd like to know exactly what I have to do to install the unlocked maps inside my Garmin. I found this post (http://www.navitotal.com/new-maps-f88/city-navigator-europe-2016-t16141.html) with the european maps, but I'm not really sure what I have to download and how to install everything. If someone could help me I'd be really grateful :040:
CapraTheBest offline

Postby kolokythas » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:30 pm

CapraTheBest wrote:I finally managed to get the speedcams working (had a problem when connecting the phone /w bluetooth internet sharing to the Garmin) and now I'd like to know exactly what I have to do to install the unlocked maps inside my Garmin. I found this post (new-maps-f88/city-navigator-europe-2016-t16141.html) with the european maps, but I'm not really sure what I have to download and how to install everything. If someone could help me I'd be really grateful :040:

You have to download at least the image unlocked file and copy it at the directory where exist the previous .img files. The name should be etither gmapprom.img either gmapsupp.img if your device has already directories like JCV download also those file in order to have Junction View.
In case that you cannot find where are the .img files on your device means that may exist on .system directory which may be hidden on windows.
kolokythas offline

Postby CapraTheBest » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:43 pm

kolokythas wrote:
CapraTheBest wrote:I finally managed to get the speedcams working (had a problem when connecting the phone /w bluetooth internet sharing to the Garmin) and now I'd like to know exactly what I have to do to install the unlocked maps inside my Garmin. I found this post (http://www.navitotal.com/new-maps-f88/city-navigator-europe-2016-t16141.html) with the european maps, but I'm not really sure what I have to download and how to install everything. If someone could help me I'd be really grateful :040:

You have to download at least the image unlocked file and copy it at the directory where exist the previous .img files. The name should be etither gmapprom.img either gmapsupp.img if your device has already directories like JCV download also those file in order to have Junction View.
In case that you cannot find where are the .img files on your device means that may exist on .system directory which may be hidden on windows.

Gonna have a look at them when I'm back from work. Thanks!
CapraTheBest offline

Postby august » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:59 pm

you have to look for MN7 / MN8 maps.
my wife have the same garmin in the vw Up.
first make a copy from your garmin.
then format the garmin with fat32.
disconnect the garmin from your computer.
start up the garmin, now it is refresh.
close the garmin and connect it again to your computer.
make a new Garmin map and put the new map, poi and data in it.
select the new garmin map and put it back to the garmin.
there is Q4-2015 .
post149399.html?hilit=MN7%20mn8#p149399
put the speedcam pom and nfs into the Poi map.

start up the garmin and it is then updating all.

ps, this is the way that I update the garmin.
Do not use the garmin software in post number2. don't use a garmin update .

Arno.
august offline

Postby CapraTheBest » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:23 pm

august wrote:you have to look for MN7 / MN8 maps.
my wife have the same garmin in the vw Up.
first make a copy from your garmin.
then format the garmin with fat32.
disconnect the garmin from your computer.
start up the garmin, now it is refresh.
close the garmin and connect it again to your computer.
make a new Garmin map and put the new map, poi and data in it.
select the new garmin map and put it back to the garmin.
there is Q4-2015 .
post149399.html?hilit=MN7%20mn8#p149399
put the speedcam pom and nfs into the Poi map.

start up the garmin and it is then updating all.

ps, this is the way that I update the garmin.
Do not use the garmin software in post number2. don't use a garmin update .

Arno.

Hey. I've downloaded the newest maps (the q1/2016) and I'd like to install them. Do you mind explaining a bit better the steps to install the maps to the Garmin? Thanks :)
CapraTheBest offline

Postby Fletch1990 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:46 pm

The device looks similar to the one i have in my cupra, if it is, i used these instructions to update my nav, and it has worked fine!

http://www.navitotal.com/post146953.html#p146953
Fletch1990 offline

Postby CapraTheBest » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:55 pm

Fletch1990 wrote:The device looks similar to the one i have in my cupra, if it is, i used these instructions to update my nav, and it has worked fine!

post146953.html#p146953

Thanks dude :040: I finally updated my maps. Now it even shows some roads that are super sneaky (like a rotunda that no one uses lol)
CapraTheBest offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin