Help with Garmin Nuvi   

Help with Garmin Nuvi

Postby Bootech » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi guys,

I have been given a sat nav to have a look at, the battery won't hold it's charge, there is no model number on it, took it apart and have seen that the battery is a 361-000198-16 so after a bit of Google and stuff it would seem that it's a NUVI 1390T

So thinking of getting a new battery for it and then from there I was wondering, can the map be updated and maybe the speed cam files?

Should I be looking at "new maps" city navigator? I also see there's files like

Garmin Image Unlock - gimgunlock
Garmin Unlocker Alternative v7.1.6
Unlock map source Directory

I guess first thing to do is replace the battery and then I can at least get the machine powered up and connected to the PC.

Thanks a lot.
Bootech offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:56 pm

I think it is not necessarily to replace the battery, because you can use the device with USB cable in car or on PC.
You can use every City Navigator NT map and junction view file (JCV) in standard resolution. For the beginning I recommend a map as unlocked image file (gmapsupp.img) in folder Garmin on µSD, so you needn't to unlock anything and the internal memory of the device remains untouched.

p.s.: the part number of battery is not only used in nuvi 1390T, it also can be another nuvi 13xx series model, e.g. 1300, 1340, 1350, 1370
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Bootech » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I tried plugging the device into the PC and the "Low Battery" warning just keeps popping up and the unit keeps rebooting and "bleeping at me" I wonder if it's actually not charging, I did mention to him that all sat nav batteries are not that good and when plugged in they should then work, I did find it a but odd that it didn't work like this.

I guess a new battery has been ordered now so it'll be here in a few days and then I'll find out.

I plugged the battery back in and have manged to start it for a little while and have found the following out if that helps.

Says "nuvi 205W"
City Navigator Europe NT 2008
Software Version 2.50
Basemap 2007

I've got hold of a 4 gig SD card and I have downloaded

Garmin City Navigator Europe NT 2013.40 UNLOCKED and also Garmin City Navigator Europe NT 2014.30 Unlocked so I just copy them over to the SD card and they'll run from that.....that's pretty cool.

EDIT: I found a 4 GIG SD card and formatted it to FAT32 and made a folder called "Garmin" then copied over the file "gmapsupp.img" file to it.

When I start the sat nav it looks like it's loading in as there a "loading bar" goes across the screen but when it's booted then it's the same and without any new maps/POI's etc. ??

Any ideas?

Cheers

Thanks
Bootech offline

Postby Confused » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:34 pm

A battery for that thing is only about $20 (US) and as you have seen, very easy to replace.

If the battery is badly discharged is will behave exactly as it is doing for you. I suggest shutting it down, plugging it into a USB port and just let it sit overnight. If it takes a little charge it should stop shotting itslef off. The USB port can only charge it at 500MA and it will take quite a few hours to bring it back (if at all). Unless the battery is shorted internally, I suspect it will likely come back to life well enough to play with but still may not hold a charge for very long. Those 2008 maps are an indication that it's a pretty old device but aside from the battery they are very reliable.

You can use safety came in it just by putting the ".GPI" file in a POI folder on that SD card so your SD would look like

SD:\garmin\gmapsupp.img <<< your map
SD:\garmin\poi\filename.gps <<< safety cam file (an "name" with the .gpi ectension will work)

Also... That unit "may" not be able to load a map file larger than 2gig without the latest firmware (I'm not familiar with that particular model). The latest firmware may also allow you to place 2 maps in the SD card. You use the garmin web updater from their site to update firmare but you need a battery that will keep it powered for a bout 1-2 min so it has time to flash the new firmware.

If the maps load correctly, they will show up on your Map Info screen where you can select a particular map for use (if you have more than one).

Good Luck!
Confused offline

Postby Bootech » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:32 pm

many thanks for the reply and the support :)

I will wait until the new battery is here before attempting a flash update. (I'll leave it plugged in over night as I have a mains charger that it's connected too at the moment)

Then I'll have a go at updating the firmware on it via the web software that you mention.

...and then I'll let you know how it's going and what I find out etc.

Thanks again.
Bootech offline

Postby Bootech » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:36 am

Many Thanks for the help with this.

Installed and charged the new battery and got a 4 gig SD card and I've copied over the gmapsupp.img to a folder called "Garmin" and the new maps are working! ;)

When I go into map info I now see "CN Europe NT 2013.40" which is the new map, thank you.

Just one last issue the "speed cams"

I've downloaded Garmin Cyclops™ Safety Cameras - EU / AU / NA /ZA /RU /ME UNLOCKED FILES, READY FOR USE (NO UNL CODE REQUIRED):

and have the file Safety_Camera_UK_Ireland.gpi which I've copied over to the SD card's Garmin folder SD:\garmin\poi\Safety_Camera_UK_Ireland.gpi

when I go to proximity points then it shows

Garmin Safety Cameras.

Would that be correct? Do I need to rename the file from a .gpi to a .gps ?

the tut says

[color="#FF0000"]Note: Download this and just extract and copy files into your device POI directory...
First you must search your POI directory in your device and copy them in it , instead of looking for help in this forum.[/color]

OR I'm wondering if I need the "Locked files" as I haven't really "un-locked the device"

[color="#FF0000"]EDIT [/color]

Scratch that, I connected the device to the PC and deleted the old file that was on there internal memory card UKCYCLOPSSAMPLE.GPI.

Now when I load it up and go to settings and stuff then under About and extras and safety cameras I now see Cyclops UK/Ireland Data
UK/Ireland Nov 20 2013 camera data base

So all good i would presume.

Thanks so much again for all your help.

Thanks again!
Bootech offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Why do you use the old map 2013.40? Current map is 2014.30!
Yes, it is incomprehensible why Garmin names the maps this way, but we have to take it as it is :scratch_one-s_head_.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Bootech » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:38 pm

ah! really.....doh!

I had been looking at the numbering. Thanks for that, I'll update it then.

Appreciated all the help. :)
Bootech offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin