Garmin gps map 62s failure.   

Garmin gps map 62s failure.

Postby jefh » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:40 pm

My Garmin gps map 62s doesn't get recognised anymore by the computer. I also get "cannot unlock maps" and "language files are missing" on my gps. Instead of the Dutch language, I only have English on the gps. My gps was working well one week ago.
Is there any possibility to fix the gps?
Thank You.
jefh offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:30 pm

It would be interesting, what you did with it since last week :D.
First of all you should do hard reset of your device, here you find a video tutorial [Please Register or Login to download file] .
Attention: all personal data will be lost!
Then you can try a firmware update with Garmin WebUpdater and load lost data, like languages etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby jefh » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:57 pm

I tried the hard reset, but it didn't work.
Last week I was trying out the new German topo on sd-card and today I installed a part of topo Belgium and a part of City Navigator for Belgium. After that the Dutch language disappeared.
The problem is that my pc (and also other pc's at home here) doesn't recognise the gps. So I cannot see if some files are missing on my gps.
I heard that some people had problems with the usb-connector on the gps.
jefh offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:48 pm

The hard reset must work! View the video and read the description below the video carefully. If this really not works, your device is damaged and nothing else will help, than return to Garmin Service.
It is a frequent mistake that the USB plug isn't rightly plugged in or the USB cable is bad or damaged and so it is possible, that maps, updates or other things will be incompletely transferred.
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby jefh » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:03 pm

When holding down the upside-button while connecting the usb-cable, my gps was recognised by my pc. It seems that all system-files were overwritten by 2 maps. So where can I find the system-files for a gpsmap 62s?
jefh offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:55 am

As I said above: use Garmin Webupdater to restore the most important files.

And for future: I recommend always, never transfer new maps to internal memory. Always test them before on SD. Only if you are sure, that a map is working properly on SD and it is suitably for internal memory, you can copy it to internal memory.
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby jefh » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:18 am

I always put my maps on a sd-card, but I must have done something wrong yesterday.
I thought I had backupped the internal memory of my gps, but I didn't.
Can the internal memory be downloaded somewhere?
The problem is that my gps isn't recognised anymore, so I cannot run Wepupdater. The computer sees my gps as an external harddisk, probably because the internal memory is empty.
jefh offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:53 am

Did you try another USB cable? Maybe the cable or plugs are not good.

If a device is shown as external disc, normally WebUpdater find it to copy data on it.

I will have a look, if I can find a backup of GPSmap62s, but I'm not sure if it would help. It looks that somthing on your device it wrong and I recommend to send it to Garmin. In all cases known to me Garmin has exchanged such devices without any problems or costs (sometimes even outside the warranty!).
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby jefh » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Yes, I tried several cables. The computer sees the gps as disk (W), but Wepupdater doesn't find any device.

The back-up of the gps has to be a back-up of my own gps, because it is linked to the unit-id of the gps. So I cannot use a back-up of another gpsmap 62s. I will have to return it to Garmin.
jefh offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:35 pm

jefh wrote:The back-up of the gps has to be a back-up of my own gps, because it is linked to the unit-id of the gps. So I cannot use a back-up of another gpsmap 62s...

This concerns only 2 files: GarminDevice.xml and System.xml - the first will be written while device is starting, but the second must be originally.
Nevertheless, I have found only an incomplete backup of GPSmap 62st - it wouldn't help you.
Your decision to return the device to Garmin seems to be the best.
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby jefh » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:22 pm

The store where I bought my gps, just mailed me that the gps can't be repaired.
Strange.
jefh offline

Postby jefh » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:14 pm

After searching for days for a solution, I finally managed to fix my gps. Here you can find the solution: [Please Register or Login to download file]
:o
jefh offline

Re: Garmin gps map 62s failure.

Postby danielrex » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:33 pm

Hello Jefh -- do you have the solution available in English?

I have the same issue with my 62s.
danielrex offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin