The Great Debate: Android vs WinCE (SatNav+Head Units)   

Here you post everything that is not related to other forum areas.
stuff like how you like this forum for example ;)

Re: The Great Debate: Android vs WinCE (SatNav+Head Units)

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed May 14, 2014 1:34 pm

Because I can use scripts on Wince devices to automate software startup and background services etc, also android has better media players.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby nabi » Thu May 15, 2014 7:39 am

Consider this:
* a smartphone (whatever OS) is most of times always within reach (in the pocket, bag ...), a PNA isn't.

* a smartphone most of times has GPS module and (required here as it is the subject) a GPS program on board, can replace a (oldfashioned) PNA

* with a cheap carholder and car power supply (USB cable that can be connected to a in-car-USB or cigarette lighter) it can be used in whatever car (thus as well on vacation as in the wifes car :033: ), just like the PNA, while the power cable not only powers the GPS but the phone as well, even when not routing

* not to forget that the car holder permits handsfree calls, therefor no fines for calling in the car :033:

*most travels are in the home country, most smartphones subscriptions include Internet thus can consult online traffic (TMC, see post #22), included in the price of the subscription. This requires little data traffic, thus rarely extra cost, unless roaming

Thus I see advantages in using a smartphone instead of a PNA, unless the routing is terribly worse.

As an advantage of a PNA, I see mainly TMC (if module available), working on (free) FM radio everywhere (however not working in iGO nor Primo on my device, only with original crap software). And at a sometimes hidden cost (device with TMC is more expensive, TMC subscription is often required). On the downside is the possible lack of quality of the TMC data and the way the program handles TMC data (all data from all transmissions can lead to a heap of repeated TMC messages - I know someone with a Volvo in car GPS who disabled TMC for that reason).
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby filesupload100 » Thu May 15, 2014 8:38 am

AFAIK, Android can run only Primo, on a PNA we can choose between Primo or iGO.
This takes us back to the discussion which software is preferable, where (Europe/US), and as a result, is it possible because the device we own.
filesupload100 offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu May 15, 2014 9:43 am

I don't like using a smartphone for navigating over long routes, because somebody will call you when you're trying to negotiate a complicated junction.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby nabi » Thu May 15, 2014 10:09 am

filesupload100 wrote:AFAIK, Android can run only Primo, on a PNA we can choose between Primo or iGO.

Euh,, this is chit-chat, not the iGO forum !!
Specifically about iGO : I can be wrong, but I believe an igo for Android existed, as I have it on my (home-not here) PC. Unless it's a Primo, wrongly labeled. I will check that.

filesupload100 wrote:This takes us back to the discussion which software is preferable, where (Europe/US), and as a result, is it possible because the device we own.

I get the picture however :
- Every OS is included in this thread, even Windows8 (thus Here software) and iOS (see post #19)
- No GPS software is excluded in this thread, thus members using Navigon, TT, Sygic and other soft may react as well (see post #19)
- AFAIK there is no long list of users discussing a software being better or worse on a continent. And there is more than just iGO and Primo.
The list of those who discuss/advise which map brand (for iGO/Primo) is better here or there (TT in Europe, NT in North America) is longer, I think. I can even give you a list of (ex?) iGO users preferring TT maps in certain US states because they are better in a certain state, while the advised maps for the whole US are always of NT origine. So ...?

Everything is discussable, if on topic.
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu May 15, 2014 11:04 am

On Android you have a choice of igo myway (a form of amigo) or Primo
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Skezza » Thu May 15, 2014 12:45 pm

nabi wrote:Consider this:
* a smartphone (whatever OS) is most of times always within reach (in the pocket, bag ...), a PNA isn't.

* a smartphone most of times has GPS module and (required here as it is the subject) a GPS program on board, can replace a (oldfashioned) PNA

* with a cheap carholder and car power supply (USB cable that can be connected to a in-car-USB or cigarette lighter) it can be used in whatever car (thus as well on vacation as in the wifes car :033: ), just like the PNA, while the power cable not only powers the GPS but the phone as well, even when not routing

* not to forget that the car holder permits handsfree calls, therefor no fines for calling in the car :033:

*most travels are in the home country, most smartphones subscriptions include Internet thus can consult online traffic (TMC, see post #22), included in the price of the subscription. This requires little data traffic, thus rarely extra cost, unless roaming

Thus I see advantages in using a smartphone instead of a PNA, unless the routing is terribly worse.

As an advantage of a PNA, I see mainly TMC (if module available), working on (free) FM radio everywhere (however not working in iGO nor Primo on my device, only with original crap software). And at a sometimes hidden cost (device with TMC is more expensive, TMC subscription is often required). On the downside is the possible lack of quality of the TMC data and the way the program handles TMC data (all data from all transmissions can lead to a heap of repeated TMC messages - I know someone with a Volvo in car GPS who disabled TMC for that reason).

OK, I think you've missed the point. For me, the main topic was for car head units. I appreciate that my phone can effectively act as sat nav, however it is not as effective as proper in-dash system with a dedicated GPS module. A-GPS is great, but runs on roughly 0.8v if I remember rightly, therefore without the 3G, your phone isn't as effective a sat nav. A proper in-dash sat nav system will use a proper SirfStar chip which will run on 3.3v and can pick up more satellites, some of which your phone will never pick up. The benefits of modern phone sat navs, is some are now able to pick up GLONASS which enhances the positioning capabilities however I still find my in-dash double din more responsive than my phone.

Don't forget, with an in-dash system you don't have to reach for anything, it's all there and ready to use when you need it.

Also, refer to my previous post regarding TMC. Online is NOT the same as TMC and your friend with TMC may have had a poor implementation. For me, TMC has been great, free and very easy to use. Poor TMC implementation can result in repeated messages, however TMC in Primo is exceptional and plummed properly into your car (like with mine, PM me for details as you need to do some electrical hackery), you can get excellent results. The issues with signal are also sorted with my car, I never get below 70% reception, usually nearer 100%.

filesupload100 wrote:AFAIK, Android can run only Primo, on a PNA we can choose between Primo or iGO.
This takes us back to the discussion which software is preferable, where (Europe/US), and as a result, is it possible because the device we own.

Well of course Android can also run Google Maps and other Sat Navs, but from the iGo family, yes, only Primo. I personally prefer Primo to stock iGo, but I can see the attractiveness of iGo original. It's far more professional for one. If I was a taxi driver, I'd use the original iGo.

Fatboyfun wrote:I don't like using a smartphone for navigating over long routes, because somebody will call you when you're trying to negotiate a complicated junction.

I remember this issue with the 5800 XpressMusic. It was one of the best sat nav phones around. The GPS was super accurate and the route mapping was exceptional, however if someone phoned you it would almost certainly crash the sat nav and/or lose signal meaning you had another 10 seconds before you were back.
Skezza offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu May 15, 2014 4:20 pm

Skezza wrote:I remember this issue with the 5800 XpressMusic. It was one of the best sat nav phones around. The GPS was super accurate and the route mapping was exceptional, however if someone phoned you it would almost certainly crash the sat nav and/or lose signal meaning you had another 10 seconds before you were back.

My daughter had a 5800 and the gps on it was terrible, attaching a bluetooth dongle was meant to improve it significantly.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Skezza » Fri May 16, 2014 10:27 am

Fatboyfun wrote:
Skezza wrote:

I remember this issue with the 5800 XpressMusic. It was one of the best sat nav phones around. The GPS was super accurate and the route mapping was exceptional, however if someone phoned you it would almost certainly crash the sat nav and/or lose signal meaning you had another 10 seconds before you were back.

My daughter had a 5800 and the gps on it was terrible, attaching a bluetooth dongle was meant to improve it significantly.

Must have bought a lemon. I've not had a phone with as good GPS as the 5800, but I think with all Nokia's their first iterations had poor GPS and they improved them as they updated them.
Skezza offline

Postby freefallin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:50 pm

oh why did this discussion stop?!

I'm in this dilemma now. About order a GPS head unit and I was just presented with these two options: Win Ce or Android. I didn't even know what that meant. So I got on the net and started searching. This thread was the only promising place that I could find for the info I needed; basically which one to choose. But unfortunately it stopped too short!
freefallin offline

Postby nabi » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:13 pm

In my opinion, as it looks now, Android (and/or iOS and/or Windows for Mobile Phones) is the future.
Consider (1) that more and more multimedia devices based on Android (for in the car I mean) come on the market, while car manufacturers equip their inbuild hardware more and more with Android OS (like the new Honda Infotainment System).
Consider (2) that smartphones (in general) replace many daily used stuff (like agendas, clock, alarm, radio, ... ) so why not GPS?
Also WinCe development stopped. Which in the end limits new technologies?

I also do think that WinCE products (GPS programs) still will be available for a few years, no doubt, for the simple reason WinCE devices still are used and AFAIK still are produced and are reasonably cheap (also caused by the cheap CE ;) ). But will the existing programs develop further or new ones (for CE) will be released? That is the question. As one sees that the big names make efforts to make a decent Android GPS (TomTom, Sygic, Primo, ...) but less effort to continue their CE activities, ...

As for Primo (2.4) on Android or CE, I have used both recently and it's hard to tell a real difference that is not related to the hardware (my smartphone has a better processor, more memory, better screen quality but different resolution , ...). In routing etc, though not used together, I can not pick a winner.

But telling someone what to buy ... I would not dare.
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Previous

Return to Chit-Chat