The Great Debate: Android vs WinCE (SatNav+Head Units)   

Here you post everything that is not related to other forum areas.
stuff like how you like this forum for example ;)

Postby liway » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:34 pm

It may not be fair to compare an obsolete OS with a strong growing, main stream popular OS.

Purely on Sat-nav device point of view, I prefer Android devices for:
1. For hand-held units, the battery life of android units is mostly much longer than the WinCE units. This may be the single most important factor for some.
2. You can choose screen size ranging from 3.5in to 12in, with many resolutions. If graphics/display is important to you, there is no choice but android units.
3. Flexibility: android has greater flexibility than WinCE and IOS.
4. Costs for android units drop faster than WinCE and IOS. Now I put a generic android phone (no SIM card in it) in my car as my Satnav device as it costs less than AUD150. It gives me a backup for my phone in case my mobile goes down or runs out of battery.
5. Apart from Garmin, all major players in satnav are available for android devices. Sygic is better in Android than in WinCE.
6. Once setting up the programs and running, android is probably more reliable/stable than WinCE, at least there's no errors like iGO and TomTom for the WinCE machines.
7. Added advantage of having many other software. You may decide to use your device for something else if you want another gps for your car.
liway offline

Postby Skezza » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:32 pm

liway wrote:It may not be fair to compare an obsolete OS with a strong growing, main stream popular OS.

Purely on Sat-nav device point of view, I prefer Android devices for:
1. For hand-held units, the battery life of android units is mostly much longer than the WinCE units. This may be the single most important factor for some.
2. You can choose screen size ranging from 3.5in to 12in, with many resolutions. If graphics/display is important to you, there is no choice but android units.
3. Flexibility: android has greater flexibility than WinCE and IOS.
4. Costs for android units drop faster than WinCE and IOS. Now I put a generic android phone (no SIM card in it) in my car as my Satnav device as it costs less than AUD150. It gives me a backup for my phone in case my mobile goes down or runs out of battery.
5. Apart from Garmin, all major players in satnav are available for android devices. Sygic is better in Android than in WinCE.
6. Once setting up the programs and running, android is probably more reliable/stable than WinCE, at least there's no errors like iGO and TomTom for the WinCE machines.
7. Added advantage of having many other software. You may decide to use your device for something else if you want another gps for your car.
All very good points!!
Skezza offline

Re: The Great Debate: Android vs WinCE (SatNav+Head Units)

Postby Lucky Duck » Sun May 11, 2014 10:07 am

I agree with Downunder 35m Android is an open source software and every man and his dog who can program are making apps for Android. As for Angry Birds being useless think of the poor old blokes that have to sit in their cars waiting for the missus to finish their shopping. :lol:
Lucky Duck offline

Re: The Great Debate: Android vs WinCE vs iPhone(SatNav+Head Units)

Postby nabi » Sun May 11, 2014 10:35 am

You must be a birds addict :lol: I do know some addictive games for Windows CE too ;) and did Chas521 not posted some recently ?
Then the fight Android or CE might be going on endless because your argument is pointless.

Let's change the starting point question a bit. It's not what you like best Android or CE (for Chas: or iOS) that is relevant. All devices will do what you want, what they are designed for in the first place.

Instead, I would like the debate reopened evolving to the effectiveness of the programs involved. Which program is better? TomTom (Linux) or TomTom (Android)? Primo (CE) or Primo (Android)? Navigon, Sygic, ... ? Or why not, Google Maps or Nokia Here? What I mean is not the endless debate TT/Primo/Garmin/... program is better but what I want is: is the Android (iPhone) version better or not compared to the "normal" version? What is the advantage/disadvantage of buying a smartphone (and I include a iPhone) above a PNA?
Which one is better in routing? easier to use?

What can help a new buyer decide to buy a new head unit on CE (still plenty around) or on Android? Is it better to simply buy a smartphone and a smartphone carholder, meanwhile enjoy the handsfree phone feature?
Or is it better to stick to the old fashioned CE/Linux devices because they route better? Or don't they?

Let the fight, sorry, the debate begin again.
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Skezza » Mon May 12, 2014 11:14 am

Nabi, personally, having used both, I think iGo runs a lot better on WinCE than Android. I find on Android it is smoother but less intuitive.

Don't forget features such as TMC RDS are also not available on Android.
Skezza offline

Postby nabi » Mon May 12, 2014 12:11 pm

Skezza wrote:Nabi, personally, having used both, I think iGo runs a lot better on WinCE than Android. I find on Android it is smoother but less intuitive.

Interesting. I would love to see more comments on this

Skezza wrote:Don't forget features such as TMC RDS are also not available on Android.

But Internet is most of times, at least on smartphones. I rarely use my smartphone for routing but every time I do, I can consult a list of traffic issues
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby filesupload100 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:45 pm

Skezza wrote:Don't forget features such as TMC RDS are also not available on Android.

Not available? so, what is this?

Image Image

It is not working without the relevant TMC license in the "content/tmc" folder.
filesupload100 offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Skezza » Tue May 13, 2014 2:33 pm

But that isn't TMC don't you see? That's online traffic. It's fair to say that the TMC vs Online Traffic debate is one that will go on for years and years but I've used both and there are plenty of problems with both.

Online Pro's:
Fast, as in can download 150 events in the space of 5 seconds. Countrywide traffic reports, the distance limit is set by yourself, 50 miles, 150 miles, 250 miles, whatever you want. No issues of interference and don't require any kind of plumbing into your car.

Online Con's:
Require WiFi or a Data Sim that needs connecting (£), broadcast by national service which often has issues with outdated information especially in local areas.

TMC Pro's:
No issues with connection, merely pick's up a broadcast. Often picks up local traffic reports that aren't available online. Outdated information isn't as bad as it used to be. Effectively free.

TMC Con's:
Slow, takes minutes to download 150 events. It doesn't usually pickup countrywide reports although depends which broadcast you are receiving. May require plumbing into your car (I had to adapt my OEM aerial).
Skezza offline

Postby Skezza » Tue May 13, 2014 2:35 pm

Obviously Sygic 'Mobile Maps' for WinCE is now discontinued and I've not been able to get maps for it for a long time (any suggestions?). So it's clearly an Android thing nowadays.
Skezza offline

Postby filesupload100 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:05 pm

Skezza, thanks for the explanation.
What confuses me is the need of the TMC licenses in the folder.

For someone that English is not his native language, what does "Pro's" and "Con's" mean?
filesupload100 offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby nabi » Tue May 13, 2014 4:48 pm

Like the 2 of us ;)
pro = good
con = bad
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Skezza » Tue May 13, 2014 5:23 pm

Yeah what nabi said:

Pro's = Positives/Good Things
Con's = Negatives/Bad Things

:)
Skezza offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue May 13, 2014 5:33 pm

WinCE if it's just going to be used as a GPS device only, If there's going to be music players and other media involved then I'd use Android.

Now I just need to install Primo on my Galaxy S5...
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby nabi » Tue May 13, 2014 10:07 pm

The forum rules (#10) clearly state that postings that are no help or make no sense can be deleted.
Following that rule, unnecessary and completely off topic posts that did not contribute at all to this thread were moved to the trash can.
This action does not mean one can not make off topic posts, but do not overdo it or blow things out of proportions.

A decision made by a moderator or admin is final and not to be discussed! (rule #11)

Finally this, because things may be unclear because of my action:
Discussions on what Operating System is - or might be - better are endless and are all over the Internet, as are discussions about what device/smartphone is better. Go discuss those matters there.
Further more, when you have whatever GPS software on your device/smartphone, fine, but telling us which one without further comment is not the purpose of this thread.
What is? Please contribute to this thread by writing your experience, your findings, your opinions, ... whatever on the GPS software/OS combination, preferably when you can compare different Operating Systems.
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Skezza » Wed May 14, 2014 12:03 pm

Fatboyfun wrote:WinCE if it's just going to be used as a GPS device only, If there's going to be music players and other media involved then I'd use Android.

Now I just need to install Primo on my Galaxy S5...

What a weird piece of reasoning. The radio, cd player, usb reader are usually fine, what makes Android better for that?
Skezza offline

PreviousNext

Return to Chit-Chat