Alpine INA-W910 - Aussie Mps PLEASE HELP   

Alpine INA-W910 - Aussie Mps PLEASE HELP

Postby westbourne » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:38 am

hi guys can anyone tell me how update the maps on an INA-W910. I am in Australia and trying to add the Australian maps through the naviextras tool box. But i cant get the details of the INA-W910 to the sd card.....struggling....Any help would be appreciated. naviextra.com have the instructions of the INA-W910R (European version) I cant see the INA-W910 being much different to the INA-W910R. PLEASE PLEASE can some one help.

I think its an iGO8. I was able to find instructions on how to load the maps onto an exact model number INA-W910 but with an R at the end. The head units look identical, same features, same mapping and everything. According to ALPINE the W910 is a US version and the W910R is the european version.

when I try to follow the instructions, posted at:

[Please Register or Login to download file]
[Please Register or Login to download file]

I get stuck at the part where i need to Copy Device Information from INA-W910R to SD card

I you could help that would be much appreciated.

on this page [Please Register or Login to download file]
i cannot Copy Device Information from INA-W910R to SD card. I follow the instructions where it says:

Copy Device Information from INA-W910R to SD card

1. Power on INA-W910R by turning on the ignition. Allow the device to fully boot up, then select “MAP”
2. Press the eject button to allow you to insert the SD card into INA-W910R. Once the SD-Card is inserted close the monitor and select “MAP”.
3. Synctool starts up. Press the button “Collect device information”.
Please note that there is a 1 second response time for the buttons.
4. Press “OK” once Update or Backup successfully completed without errors.

I cannot get the unit to read the SD card for me to be able to copy the device information. However I'm successful doing everything else.

I prepared the SD card and everything etc

How can I access the flash memory of the device. I'm NOT worried about "bricking" my device!! its worthless to me without sat nav anyway

Now, in the Alpine user manual it states, under the header Inserting/Removing the SD Memory Card:

(Only for Updating the Navigation System)
You can update the software and map of navigation system by using an optional SD memory card. To insert and take out the SD memory card, follow the instructions below.

Now this tells me that SD card slot is there for cosmetic purposes only!!! as what is the point of having it if I cannot utilize it to update the maps, watch videos, view images or listen to music!!!

I have contacted the supplier, and they are saying that they are waiting for Alpine Tech Support, and I know that Alpine are so uncooperative, because I'm in Australia they dont want to deal with me and Alpine Australia dont want to deal with me because it is a US product!!
westbourne offline

Postby nabi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:32 am

The page [Please Register or Login to download file] gives an "error 404" (non existing webpage).

So you want to brick your device? LOL
When there is a way to explore the deviceflash or wherever the location is where the iGO8 program and contents (maps etc) are stored, there is no need and you could possibly replace your iGO8 with a newer one plus update the maps. Maybe the USB port is of any help?
All you need is in the iGO section on this forum and it's just a matter of copy/paste (make a backup first !!!) and keeping the exact identical path.
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby westbourne » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:33 am

the correct link is [Please Register or Login to download file] sorry about that!

bricking it? lol maybe i should....

i'm really new to all this .. could you please give a little more guidance? :think:

Thanks
westbourne offline

Postby nabi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:38 pm

I was rereading your first post and I was wondering this simple but basic issues:
1. are you sure your sd card is okay, has no errors and is not write protected ?
2. are you sure the device can read the format ? Do not laugh, there is a difference between SD and SDHC or SDXC cards. There is also a difference between FAT32 and Fat's. I use Panasonic format tool to format SD cards (google is your friend)

Any SD issue could very well block the update process and you could never know why. More: have you tried another sd brand?

When you ruled all this out and you still want to brick all ;) : the device has a menu I suppose. Is there a way to get access to the sd card? to SEE files like MP3's? To start .exe files? Can you explore in any way the device itself? Possibly by a laptop/USB combination?

Edit : could [Please Register or Login to download file] be of any help ?
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby westbourne » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:45 pm

thanks for the reply..

ive tried 2gb (SD), 4gb (HCSD) and 8gb (HCSD) all Sandisk. I formated them using the windows generic format tool. the SD card slot in my device is bl**dy useless. Alpine US say its only for updating maps and not for playing any kind or media files so no i cannot explore it!!

There is only the USB slot to hook the ipod and aux cables, no other ports!

I have tried the link, the instructions are meant for the W900E Australia model! Aussie Alpine and being so, uncooperative (as you can imagine).....
westbourne offline

Postby nabi » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:11 am

:think:
http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?8625-Alpine-INA-W910-Aussie-Mps-PLEASE-HELP&p=67322#post67322 (post#6in the iGO section thread)

It seems you are stuck with a model that is region locked. When there is no way to enter the internal memory, the device is completely useless. How come you have an US model down under? Did the seller not tell you that?

In this stadium I see 3 options:
1. break in the Alpine at any cost. You don't know how and me neither. Greatest risk is to destroy it completely. I saw it costs more than 1000 $ so ...
2. return it to whoever you got it from, demand your money back or an Australian replacement
3. sell it to someone in the US and buy another device.
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby westbourne » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:05 pm

so there is no hope!!!
westbourne offline

Postby chas521 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:20 pm

westbourne wrote:so there is no hope!!!

Just throwing this out there but is it possible to use an outside card reader to get information on your SD card?
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby westbourne » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:54 am

could there be a usb port of some sort or an interface inside the casing (hidden) that would give alpine techs access to windows. there must be a hidden port other wise how would they access if they had to in case of repairs (firmware upgrade etc)
westbourne offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:36 pm

westbourne wrote:could there be a usb port of some sort or an interface inside the casing (hidden) that would give alpine techs access to windows. there must be a hidden port other wise how would they access if they had to in case of repairs (firmware upgrade etc)

It's possible there is a USB inside the case, but normally JTAG interfaces are used for factory installation/updates.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Marco_tah » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:08 pm

I'm living the same issue right now, but Im in Brazil. I've opened the top cover of it and took a look at It's GPS board. It's says that uses WinCE 5, and It really uses iGO8 on Alpine's skin.
Also, It do not has any port Other than SD Card, but I has 5 unjumpered jumper locks that I don't know what for, but could give access to WinCE if the right one is jumpered, right?
Is there any hope for my device?
Marco_tah offline

Postby user469 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:39 pm

I've got an Alpine W910 copy of igo8 version 8.5.11.260737

Inside the igo.exe i see :

IGOAPPLICATION::Restart: running from SD card, no card, exiting immediately.....\.a.u.t.o.r.u.n._.i.g.o...e.x.e.....IGOAPPLICATION::Restart: running from SD card.......

Maybe you can try to put an igo.exe on the \ root of sd card and rename it as \autorun_igo.exe and see if it will run .
user469 offline

Postby Marco_tah » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:53 pm

This could be an option. Can you borrow me a copy of this Version?
Thanks
Marco_tah offline

Postby user469 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Here you are .

[spoiler][Please Register or Login to download file] [/spoiler]
user469 offline

Postby Marco_tah » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:14 am

Thanks man. Let's see what I can do with it. I wish I could solve this, would help a lot of people.
Marco_tah offline

Next

Return to Alpine